Evergreen to drape along cedar fence in Japanese style garden

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by eloharein, May 13, 2009.

1. eloharein

eloharein Active Member

Hi, I'm looking for an evergreen tree to drape along the top of a lovely 7 foot cedar fence in a Japanese style garden. The roots may get some shade, otherwise it would be in the afternoon sun.

Attached Files:

2. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

eloharien,
    Take a look at the 'Picea pungens 'Pendula' or Weeping Blue Spruce They say it works in Japanses gardens. I've always called it the "Dr. Seuss" tree because of it weird growth pattern, no two seem to grow the same. Just another thought.
    barb

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

A weeping conifer trained onto the fence might rot it out in time where resting on it. There is also the matter of re-finishing the fence should that project come up in future.

4. eloharein

eloharein Active Member

It didn't occur to me that the fence might rot in time. I'll think about training an evergreen over a freestanding structure. Thank you very much.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If the fence is stained you'll have to do it again in future. Climbers can be trained against it without interfering with this by mounting hooks and then using framing that is set into the hooks, can be lifted up out of the hooks and placed on the ground in front of the fence. Climbers with flexible stems would have to be used, so they could be placed on the ground along with the frames without snapping off.

Of course, while re-staining the fence you would have to step through and among all this stuff. But it is a way to make it all work.