Euonymus alatus

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Lois Heidrick, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Lois Heidrick

Lois Heidrick Member

What shrub is this?

This shrub grows wild in the woods (lower NY zone 5) and I never noticed it until this fall when I saw the beautiful bright rose leaves and went to investigate. It has a most unusual bark. The younger stems are green and surrounded by tan fins about 1-1.5 inches long which circle around the stem so that there are 4 fins that alternate working their way up the whole stem. I think you can see them in the picture. The leaves are opposite each other and I don't know what color they were this summer...probably green and it now has clusters of small red berries that were encased in dark red sheaths but again, I don't know what color the flowers were. There are many seedlings starting up underneath so I assume it propagates from seeds easily. The mature bush is about 10 to 15 foot high. I would love to know what this unusual shrub is. Next spring I'll be trying to start some seeds that I've saved and maybe do some transplanting. Can anyone help me?

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hello Lois,

This is Euonymus alatus, known as "winged burning bush".

Euonymus alatus interpretative sign at UBC Botanical Garden

Photos of Euonymus alatus 'Compactus', a compact cultivar of the species, from the gardens at UBC

3. Lois Heidrick

Lois Heidrick Member

Thank you Mr. Mosquin. That fits the shrub exactly. That was very quick work and I do appreciate your help very much.

Lois

4. John Farrer

John Farrer Member

Euonymus Alatus is considered invasive in many parts of New England especially New Hampshire and Connecticut. Here in British Columbia, it just makes a great fall display in a pot on my deck

Attached Files: