British Columbia: Environment Canada gives areas of the province more region-specific forecasts

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Junglekeeper, May 16, 2017.

1. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I was thinking of developing something like that, but climate zones, to help with the blooming dates on the VCBF Neighbourhoods cherry map. That still doesn't work all that well - Burnaby, with Burnaby Mountain), Riley Park (with Little Mountain) and West End / Stanley Park (with both the warmest area, the West End, and one of the coolest, Stanley Park) would always be problems.

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I would think someone well-versed in statistical modelling and analysis would be able to do something with the information in your database. Imagine an interactive map where one could select a neighbourhood and be shown a list of cultivars that would likely be in bloom based on the selected time of year and expected weather condition. Perhaps weather condition could be defined as 'colder than normal', 'normal', or 'warmer than normal'; it could then be compared against similarly categorized periods in history. Historical temperatures for the the Vancouver area should be available in some government database.

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

That's pretty much what our map at Neighbourhood Maps does, except that I have to guess the expected weather conditions, do a better job of figuring out which neighbourhoods get the same dates and which cultivars get the same dates (so that I don't have to do updates for 55 (cultivars) x 46 (neighbourhoods) = 2500+ cells one at a time; I can select several at a time, but there is not now a built-in function to group them). The map is only as good as the data, and I'm not so good at recording and organizing the data (will accept any offers to organize this). But to the user, it looks like you can do exactly what you said - you can click the Blooming tab and put in the dates for which you want to see what's in bloom, then sort the list by neighbourhood to see what to expect to see in that neighbourhood.