ensete ventricosum After the winter

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Seosamh, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Seosamh

Seosamh Member

Hi all, I have been growing an Ensete ventricosum in my poly tunnel for a number of years. It has been happy there through several winters without any additional protection. Last summer it's leaves hit the roof! However, last winter was harder than usual, and the plant died back more severely. It's now June, the stem seems ok, healthy tissue, but no new leaves. I have chopped it back to about 80cm high and the cut tissue is healthy, but no new growth point. We've been having hot weather these last few weeks, and I have been watering it well (I have always had a deep flowerpot sunk beside it to get water right down to the roots,) but no new growth. Any ideas? I have a Strelitzia reginae growing close by, and although it also suffered it is recovering. This is a great plant and I'd hate to lose it.

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Give it some time. The longer winter will have set it back a bit, but if the pseudostem isn't mushy it's still alive. Ensetes are a bit more tempremental when they've been frozen, but it will eventually recover and start putting up new leaves. You can also try hitting it with a mild 10-10-10 fertilizer.