Enjoy Aroids? You really should consider joining the International Aroid Society!

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by photopro, Oct 25, 2007.

1. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

If you are now following the threads on this aroid forum, you are certain to realize there are those who wish to be better informed about the plants in the plant group Araceae. Aroids are among the most fascinating plant species on our planet! There is an excellent organization known as the International Aroid Society which you should consider joining. IAS has been in existence for over 30 years! Some of the folks who now contribute to UBC are respected IAS members. Believe me, you'll get your money's worth just in information. And you'll receive both quartely news letters and the annual journal Aroideana.

So if you're not yet a member, take a look at what IAS has to offer:

http://www.aroid.org/

If you live near NW Arkansas, SE Missouri or NE Oklahamo, we're forming a local IAS chapter. For details and more information regarding the advantages of membership in the International Aroid Socieity, this link may help:

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Join IAS.html

The membership link just above takes you directly to the IAS website.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  2. LariAnn

LariAnn Active Member

Re: Enjoy Aroids? You really should consider joining the International Aroid Society

I think you meant "Araceae", not Acacaea!

As a present member of the IAS, I advocate asking questions and acquiring a balanced perspective so you know what you will and will not get from a membership. There are always plenty of contrasting points of view regarding any group or organization within a membership, so avail yourselves of them!

LariAnn
    Aroidia Research

3. photopro

Re: Enjoy Aroids? You really should consider joining the International Aroid Society

Yep! My fingers don't always do what my brain is telling them to do! Anyone who regularly reads my email has figured that out by now. I try to use the spell check on everything but somehow missed that one! But I just fixed it. I was doing the fix about the same time you made this post. Thanks for catching me. And if you find more spelling errors, TELL ME!!

4. LariAnn

LariAnn Active Member

I understand about the fingers, although I say it's that darn keyboard! But you better check those fingers; it's still spelled "Aracaea" when it should be "Araceae".

5. photopro

Anyone have a new brain I can rent? I swear I've got dyslexia!

6. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Maybe you need more sleep lol. Yes I have been a bit slack with joining. I am a member of a few other magazines subscriptions, which I don't seem to be getting the information I require any more. LariAnn, is the IAS journal quarterly and when does the "year" start? My other subscriptions start in January so if it started then, that would be perfect timing??

Ed

7. LariAnn

LariAnn Active Member

Ed, the Aroideana is annual and I believe the IAS newsletter is quarterly. The year starts in January and even if you join later, you should still receive the whole year's publications.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  8. edleigh7

Perfect timing, that's it, I'm joining!!

Ed

9. butterfly1963

butterfly1963 Member

What is the Library (special handling) membership?
    Beth

10. photopro

Sorry Butterfly, I haven't looked at this post in a long time. The library rate is for public libraries to add the journals to their collections.

Don't forget the show in September, 2009. I'd love to meet many of you there.

11. photopro

Since UBC will be vanishing from the "airwaves" in just a few days I wanted to thank all of you for your friendship. I chose to make this post from this thread because the members of the international Aroid Society would love to have you join us on Aroid l. Aroid l is a plant discussion group for people interested in aroids. You don't have to be a member of the IAS.

if you have any interest in Anthurium, Philodendron, Colocasia, Alocasia, Amorphophallus, or any other aroid you can find us at www.Aroid.org Just look to the left of the page and you'll find a link to join Aroid l.

If you'll be in the St. Louis, MO area on April 24 please join us at the Missouri Botanical Garden for a behind the scenes tour of the research greenhouses, the herbarium, the rain forest display as well as the entire garden. You don't have to be an aroid enthusiast, just a plant lover.

It's been fun, thanks for letting me be a part!

Steve Lucas
    Corresponding Secretary
    The International Aroid Society

12. edleigh7

Ummmm Steve, what do you mean UBC will be "vanishing????

Ed

13. photopro

The garden will be here but the forum as we now know it won't. Read the thread at the top of each page about restructuring.

Members can continue to post for now but we can't start new threads. The story is lengthy and some are very, very, very upset. Since I know something about the problems gardens are having around the country this isn't unexpected.

Read this link:

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20100207/ARTICLE/2071028/2416/NEWS?p=1&tc=pg

My concern is more for researchers that are loosing a lifetime of work due to financial cutbacks. I can live without a forum but these terrible cuts are affecting scientific research as well as livelihoods.

By the way, Harry Luther has been a trusted adviser for years. Read the story and weep.

14. photopro

All Aroid Lovers!

The International Aroid Society MidAmerica chapter meeting at the Fort Worth Botanic Gardens is less than 4 weeks away! We hope that you plan on joining us and maybe even bring a friend or two. Please RSVP so that we can prepare for the correct number of attendees. You do not need to join or be a member of the IAS to attend!

All of the details can be found below, and also at the website: http://aroid.org/midamerica

If you live anywhere in the Dallas/Fort Worth region or are from the Houston area you need to attend, if for no other reason than to talk and listen to Dr. Nancy Greig about their recent blooming of Amorphophallus titanum!

If you collect or study aroids at all you know Dr. Croat's name since he is the top name in aroid study in the United States! Christopher Rogers has worked closely with aroids for many years and is a professor at the University of Kansas as well and an entomologist and published crustacean expert.

What? 3rd meeting of the MidAmerica chapter of the IAS

When? Saturday, October 30 from 8:30 am to 5 pm

Where? Fort Worth Botanic Gardens, Fort Worth, Texas (http://www.fwbg.org/)

Who?
    Anyone interested in Aroids. Please bring friends and family! You do not have to be a member of the IAS to attend!!

How much? FREE! Lunches will be available at minimal charge. The tropical conservatory charges $1 admission.

What to bring? Friends, a camera and enthusiasm! Also, please bring small plants/cuttings for the plant swap. However, if you don't have anything available to trade, DO NOT WORRY! Come anyway and we'll send you home with some!

RSVP to: Zach DuFran (zach@zachandchristie.com)

Let me (Zach) know how many will be attending and if you would like to purchase a lunch or not. Lunches will consist of sandwiches, chips, cookies, and soft drinks.

What will we do?

The morning session will be spent hearing several speakers talk as well as present A/V presentations about their collections and experiences with growing Aroids. After breaking for lunch we will have a plant and cuttings trade, followed by a couple of talks before we spend the afternoon touring the botanical gardens, including the tropical conservatory.

You won’t want to miss this meeting!

Meeting agenda

Morning session

8:30 History of the IAS – Dr. Thomas B. Croat, Missouri Botanical Garden

9:00 State of the IAS – Steve Lucas

9:30 Houston Titan Arum Event – Dr. Nancy Greig, Houston Museum of Natural History

10:00 Aroid Anatomy Lesson – Steve Lucas, http://www.ExoticRainforest.com

10:45 Identifying Your Plants –Christopher Rogers, University of Kansas

11:30 lunch break

Afternoon session

12:15 Plant Swap

12:30 The use of CATE’s LUCID website to identify Anthurium and Philodendron species
    – Dr. Thomas B. Croat, Missouri Botanical Garden

1:15 Cultivating Aroids outdoors in a temperate environment – Steve Marak

2:00 Tour and enjoy the gardens, including the Conservatory

Plant Swap details

The plant swap is a great opportunity to get your hands on some new Aroids. Dr. Croat will be bringing some plants from the Missouri Botanical Gardens. Steve Lucas will bring plants from the Exotic Rainforest collection and we encourage all meeting attendees to bring some cuttings or plants that they are willing to share with others. If you are bringing cuttings, it is best to bring the cuttings with a moist paper towel wrapped around the stem and placed inside a zipper bag labeled with the plant’s name.

LUCID demonstration

LUCID is a computer application to aid identification of plants by their attributes. Dr. Croat will be demonstrating how to use this special tool. If you own a laptop and would like to bring it to the meeting so that you can follow along, we will have wireless internet access available. LUCID is amazingly easy to use and if you can count the veins on a leaf and do a bit of analytical study of the specimen you will at least come close to an ID using LUCID.

Transportation and lodging

Some members are planning on driving to Fort Worth together and sharing hotel rooms or other accommodations. If you would like help finding others to share expenses, just let us know!

For more information, including lodging recommendations and venue directions, visit the chapter
    website at http://aroid.org/midamerica.

Donations will be accepted, to offset the facility rental.

If you have questions, please contact Zach DuFran at zach@zachandchristie.com or (405) 517-1112.

All of us look forward to seeing you there!