Enhancement for Search Function

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by Junglekeeper, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

It would be useful to be able to search for posts that have attachments. Having this ability would make it easier to locate images for use in confirming the identity of a plant. If there is interest here in pursuing this, there is already a suggestion for XenForo to implement this feature: Search for posts that have an attachment.

Note
    With the previous forum software (vBulletin) posts with an attachment would be indicated as such with an icon in the search listing. This is no longer the case.

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

The videos I've found on including a photo in a posting say that the posting isn't complete until the photo is inserted into the text area via (for us, only the) Thumbnail button. For the ones that do have the photos inserted inline, you see the attach codes in the search results.

Agreed, though, it was pretty difficult to figure out how to do that in the vBulletin system, so people rarely did it, and there was no apparent advantage when only one plant was being posted, as the thumbs in both areas were about the same size. And I've only just now understood a reason to always do it, besides having larger thumbs in the text area.

That thread goes beyond what we used to have (though I don't remember seeing the attachment indicator - I do remember opening a lot of posts that didn't have photos), asking to search only for posts with an attachment. I like it. I've liked it on the xenForo forum and commented.