Eeek - An Alien!

Discussion in 'Plants and Biodiversity Stumpers' started by Lysichiton, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

I was taking pictures in my yard & this popped into view. What is this alien doing in my flowerbed? Where did it come from? As with many photos of aliens & UFOS, the quality is not the best, funny how that happens.

Attached Files:

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Solar-powered garden lamp?

3. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

A radio that's singing to your plants? They use that red thing to select what they want to hear.

Or how about meter of some sort - gas or water?

5. lorax

Or is it a water timer?

6. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

No. No. No. It's funny, this thing only appears in the summer & reminds me of some kind of wicked insect....wink, wink, nudge, nudge, this just could be a clue, ya never know.

7. lorax

Bug zapper?

8. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

Close.

Much more specific, please & where would a good Canadian guy get one of these?

9. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

You mean the Stinger Ultra 40W Bug Zapper from Canadian Tire?

Here's an interesting HowStuffWorks article on "How Bug Zappers Work". I didn't even know there were such things. I see that many use ultra-violet light because many insects see ultraviolet light better than visible light, and are more attracted to it, but mosquitos are not attracted to ultra-violet light. Or is this one that emits Octenol?

10. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

Well, no actually, but pretty darn close. I'll give you the complimentary, but mostly used bottle of Deep Woods that is the prize, wcutler.

It's a Guardian Pro Mosqito Trap that's a few years old - I looked at the Crappy Tire catalogue & they've changed the look of the plastic hood now. They have also almost doubled the price from when I bought it.

Why is this in my flowerbed, you ask? We live close to the Fraser River & mosquitos are a problem, some years much worse than others. This works. It burns a small amount of propane which generates CO2 & warms a patch on the surface to blood-heat. These are the things that mosquitos track apparently. A small light mimics the reflection of light in an animal's eyes (I think). The Octenol bar is a bonus & I don't know if it is effective - smells lke unwashed armpits to me. Then there is a small fan that sucks the bugs into a mesh trap where they dessicate. It seems pretty specific to mosquitos when I check it. No instant cure for sure, but it keeps down the population that lurks in our bushes & flowerbeds. I feel a bit guilty about killing so many mosquitos, but the larvicide programme gets most of them before they get to my yard anyway.

Swallows & tree frogs are scarce round here. I think part of that may be their food source is mostly gone. Too many people who don't like mosquitos, I guess.

This year? Not too bad. Just don't hang-around down by the high & muddy Fraser without DEET, a hat & cover-up clothes. You can spot the Newbies & out of towners...they're the ones with shorts & T shirts!

11. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Apparently mosquitoes are attracted to stinky smells: Smelly socks could help fight malaria.