The following was received via email: Hello. I was curious as to the edibility of beech nuts. I have come up with some conflicting information. An article I've read, "The Bounty of Beech" - by Linda Gabris, states that creosote is derived from beech. I was under the impression that creosote was carcinogenic. Also, a book I have "Magic and Medicine of Plants by Reader's Digest" states that large doses of nuts may be poisonous . So my questions are: 1) Are there any known toxins/poisons in beech nuts? 2) Would roasting them neutralize these toxins? 3) Would cooking with beech nut oil be harmful? Thanks for any insight or direction you could offer.