Dying Dracaena Marginata

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by PalominoBlackwing, Aug 13, 2017.

1. PalominoBlackwing

PalominoBlackwing New Member

Hey so I've had this houseplant for 2 months now since I've bought it and just recently the tips of the leaves turned brown and started dropping and falling off. I decide to propagate it so that maybe if it was dying I could save the parts with the leaves and grow more. Today I woke up and the stem of the plant is kind of mushy and it turned dark. I think I might have overwatered it but at the moment i don't know what to do... any advice?

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

If all you have left of the plant is what is seen in the picture and it is mushy, then I would say it's too late to do anything.

3. PalominoBlackwing

Do you think I could save the part that's not mushy? Would that work? The mushy part is the dark part, maybe I could save the top but I really don't know

4. PalominoBlackwing

I just washed the roots and changed the dirt to some dry dirt and it doesn't seem as mushy anymore like it's drying up so maybe its recovering, maybe I should suspend water for a while

5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

If you don't need the pot for anything else, there is certainly no harm in conducting your experiment to see what happens. I wouldn't bet on it doing anything, but I hope you'll let us know if we're wrong.