Dying brugmansia

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by soccerdad, Sep 16, 2009.

1. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

Can't post pictures right now, but ...

I bought two small brugs last year. Overwintered them in a greenhouse and then set them outside in full sun in the spring. They are in pots - about 10-15 litre pots, I'd say. They have sat side by side all year. I give them each tons of water and fertilizer. They are each about 1.5 metres (5 feet) tall. Neither is branching significantly.

One - I think it may be Charles Grimaldi - started to flower a week or so ago, and now has one fully-formed flower. The other has many leaves but shows no signs of flowering.

My concern is that the flowering one looks like it is dying. Every leaf is hanging straight down and looks like a wet kleenex. They are light green and some are starting to curl around the edges. This has occurred over the course of a few days

The other's leaves, in contrast, are perky and deep green and look completely healthy.

With that description, but no photos, can anyone suggest what is happening? I should add that the flower looks better every day. Temp here has been no lower than 55 deg F at night, and the pots' soil is quite wet.

2. Charles Richard

Charles Richard Active Member 10 Years

Generally, you would think needs water or root rot. Brugmansia's can usually take what ever water you give them at this time of year while in full growth.
    Unless they are sitting in water or had too much planting medium for the size of plant.
    Sounds like by the plants size (5') to the pot size that this should not be the issue?
    Is the pot light in weight (if possible to check)?
    We have three forms (not sure of species names) and they have a range in trunk size from 4 - 6" and are in pots (18" high x 22" wide).
    They take alot of water and fertilizer, but do very well. Two start flowering in June and the other just started flowering two weeks ago (pale orange flower)
    We have had show same signs as what you speek of (limp leaves and flowers), but has always been a lack of water issue. A good watering and they perk up.
    Check for being too dry first. If too wet, check drain hole on bottom of pot.
    If I can be of any help,

3. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

brugs don't usually flower unless they've grown branches in a 'V' format. they also bloom late in the season which is an issue for those of us in the cooler climates...

sounds like the one plant may be more sensitive to cooler nights and/or it's under watered.

are you going to just take them in for the winter or do cuttings so you have plants next year?

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

"Too much potting medium" does not exist. Commercial growers have potted liners into multigallon pots many times. If a potting medium is too damp and heavy, that is the problem - not how much of it there is.

5. karmahappytoes

karmahappytoes Active Member

Felida, WA USA (NW of the other Vancouver in USA)
    You have two issues going on here. One, to wet will make the whole plant die/appear like a wet rag and the curling of leave tells me you have a mite issue. There is also the issue of them being to root bound this time of year. Not every Brugmansia should be treated the same which most folks do. At 55 degrees these should be in good shape as they are typically grown in these temps except some of the new hybrids and tissue culture ones that require the higher temps to do their thing.
    One should really post a photo if one needs help.

6. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

It lost all its leaves and its one flower yesterday and thus is clearly dead. I'll see what is revealed when I move the skeleton from the pot to the garbage. Sic transit.

7. karmahappytoes

karmahappytoes Active Member

Felida, WA USA (NW of the other Vancouver in USA)
    Ii just sent you a PM, but thought this might be wise to post. First I would if it's my plant, cut it off at the soil level. Then allow the soil to dry out some and not disturb the roots. If there is life in the roots it could return. Set it aside from your other plants and see what it does.