British Columbia: Downtown Cherry Blossom Walk, March 7, 2010, Vancouver

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Workshops, Events, and Societies' started by wcutler, Mar 3, 2010.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

The Akebonos are out in Downtown Vancouver and the West End. If you're in the neighbourhood, you're welcome to join the Vancouver Walkers Meetup Group on our annual Akebonos walk. This year, we should be able to see at least one nice grove of Shirotaes and a nice mini-parkful of Accolades. There might be Somei-yoshino trees in bloom near the edge of Stanley Park, near the Heronry, which is also "in bloom" (I mean that the trees are full of herons now).

Starting location: Burrard Skytrain Station, near Burrard, under the Akebonos
    Date: Sunday, March 7, 2010
    Time: 1:45pm - meet, greet and take photos
    2:00pm - depart on the walk

Approximate route - it's marked on this map;
    CherryWalk2010Mar07.gif
    You can click here to see the map on gmaps.com
    Marker colour key for trees on the route:
    turquoise - Akebono
    green - Shirotae
    blue - Accolade
    orange pushpin - Heronry

I will bring some b&w copies to share (this is a "meetup" group, so you can meet the person you're sharing a map with). If you want a colour copy of the map, bring your own! The pdf attachment listed below is formatted for printing.

RSVP to me please if you're coming (click my id at the top to send an email).

Attached Files:

2. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Re: Downtown Cherry Blossom Walk, March 7, 2010, Vancouver BC

Sure would like to visit the area again in a couple of years. If this is a yearly event, sounds like something to schedule a trip around. I also want to see some of the B.C. forests.

Last visit up there was about 6 years ago.

: - )

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Re: Downtown Cherry Blossom Walk, March 7, 2010, Vancouver BC

The trouble with scheduling your trip around it is that you have to keep your suitcase packed. I wasn't expecting to have to do the walk this early at all - you can see I just scheduled it this week. Last year the festival had official scheduled walks with experts and we had to reschedule most of them because the cherries weren't out yet.

So come for a couple of months. We have plenty of trees that need measuring while you're waiting for the unpredictable blossoms.