Doronicum

Discussion in 'Flower Mandalas Project' started by dbookbinder, Jan 2, 2005.

1. dbookbinder

dbookbinder Active Member 10 Years

I'd appreciate anyone telling me what this flower is.

In addition, suggestions for a complementary quote, a word that these mandala images evoke, or some history or other information about the flower itself are most welcome, as are corrections to my flower identification if I've got it wrong and any other comments you'd care to make.

Thanks,
    - David
    © 2004, David J. Bookbinder

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2005
  2. Chris Klapwijk

Chris Klapwijk Active Member 10 Years

Might be a Doronicum

3. dbookbinder

Doronicum Orientale?

Thanks, I think you nailed it. The shape of the petals is exactly like a doronicum orientale I found a photo of on the web, and I found it in an estate garden that has numerous somewhat uncommon flowers for this region.

- David

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I had to look at this one for a bit, but my impression is emerging. What it reminds me of, structurally, are mole claws (and an almost-star-shaped nose in the centre!) pulling a mole out of the darkness.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Determining which particular doronicum it is, if desired, would be best accomplished through checking anatomical characteristics indicated by desciptions in books to be significant. Comparison with online photos showing similar plants - any of which may not be correctly identified - won't necessarily produce a reliable impression of what you have.

6. dbookbinder

Thanks, Ron. Of course that's so, and a task I will eventually tackle. Meanwhile, I'm grateful for your help and the help of others on this forum.

- David