Does my Orchid need re-potting? Dividing?

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by Sandra75, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Sandra75

Sandra75 Active Member

I just realized that there is a special section for Orchids...so am re-doing my thread that was missplaced in another section.

I got this Orchid just last week. I notice the roots are pretty big and got many of them. Does it need repotting? If so what kind of soil? What kind of pot? The Orchid is flowering now, even if its not in the season. Also, do you guys think it needs to be divided? If so how?

Attached Files:

2. terrestrial_man

terrestrial_man Active Member 10 Years

Do you know what your plant is? It looks like a dendrobium or an intergeneric to me.
    I would wait until it is done flowering before repotting. It appears to be flowering on the new growth. If so then I would suspect that once done that it will rest for a bit before its next cycle of putting out new growths.
    The plant looks very well cared for. That looks like a 2.5 gallon pot. What you need to do is to get prepared to repot. Find a nice pot of the same size or the next size up.
    For potting materials I would recommend coarse coco bark. This can be found on the net. Locally you can check with any major pet shop that sells reptiles etc. as this kind of bark is often used for such animals though some orchid shops may carry it.
    It looks like that the plant pot is covered with green moss. I believe that this is more for cosmetic purposes than a cultural practice, though it could be applied as part of one's culture. If you do opt for the moss covering do not cover the base of the pseudobulbs or he creeping stem with the moss. Leave the base of the plant exposed to light and air.
    I would not divide this plant unless it completely filled out its pot and was hanging over the sides! For one if it sets new growths off of every new bulb then you should have a nice display in the future. If however there is only one line of growth, that is one bulb being produced each year then what you can do is after repotting and getting the plant established in its pot is to take a sterile knife and cut the creeping stem so that you have groups 3-4 pseudobulbs each. Hopefully the dormant bud of the now cut groups will respond and grow new leads.
    Have you repotted orchids of this kind before? If not be sure to carefully pack down the bark in and around the roots. Use your thumbs to try to get the mix in tightly without too much damage to the roots. Use a stake and twist-ems if necessary.
    If there are alot of roots and you get the mix packed in tight enough you should be able to lift the potted plant by grabbing and raising it with the pot without the pot falling off! But if there are not enought roots and the mix does not feel tight enough after tryiing to get it so don't try the lifting just be sure it is staked for stability.
    Water once after repotting and just weekly lightly-lift the pot to see how heavy it is just to determine if you even need to add water. Even with roots a dormant plant does not use much water and sometimes a high humidity is all that is needed in its immediate environment.

3. Sandra75

Sandra75 Active Member

Thank you, the actual pot is about 4.5 inches on the top and its a Dendrobium Orchid. It's my first Orchid so I know little about the next step, meaning re-potting and dividing. You provided me with excellent information. I read somewhere to use special soil for Orchid. I have to really compact the soil when I decide to re-pot? Also is there a better type of pots for Orchids? The one it originaly came is that transparent plastic pot you see on the pic.

4. terrestrial_man

terrestrial_man Active Member 10 Years

First off here is a link to a very generalized how to grow sheet on this type of Dendrobium.
    http://www.beautifulorchids.com/orchids/orchid_care_tips/individual_care/dendrobium.html
    There are many different kinds of pots for orchids as well as cultural practices. What would be best for you is the one that is easiest to work with. The most important consideration is the fact that this kind of orchid grows on trees in the S.E. Asia area that it comes from. That means that it can get lots of water at periods of time and then none til the next storm rolls in, generally later in the day or the next day. There is a drier period but even that generates some rains for this kind of dendrobium where it grows.
    There are 3 basic types of pots: plastic, net, or clay.
    From a cultural perspective here these three differ in the following:
    1. Plastic pots: While not really approximating a natural setting since the roots are
    bound within a closed container with questionable aeration to the roots (dependent upon the mix-will discussed later) this kind of pot does allow for a minimal type of care in that watering should be restricted to whenever the pot upon lifting feels as light as it was the first time you potted the plant and before you watered it thoroughly. This sense of dryness of the potted plant has to be learned.
    2. Net pots: These pots are closest in replicating a natural setting for the roots of the orchid. Generally with slotted lower sides and base water flows through the pot. The result of excellent aeration to the roots, the erosion of decomposing compost out of the pot, and an overall dryness to the potting mix is for a more frequent watering schedule. Generally while in active growth and flowering daily to every two days is needed depending upon the ambient temperature the plant is being kept under in relation to the relative humidity of the room. The less humid the room and the higher the temperature the greater the need is for watering. With a net pot frequent watering even within a day is no problem for the root system of the orchid.
    3. Clay pots: While historically the most preferred pot to be used in conjunction with osmunda root clay pots offer roots an environment that changes more readily than that of a plastic pot but less so than that of a net pot. Water tends to run through the mix and out the drainage hole and then the dampness of the mix begins to dry through evaporation in contact with the clay sides of the pot. While this type of pot "breathes" it has one weakness: its pores will get clogged up with salts that evaporate out with the water vapor (depending upon the type of water being used).
    The clay pot also offers a firmer base for the plant as it will not easily fall over as the case with net pots or plastic pots. Watering a clay pot is probably best done at least twice weekly while the plant is in active growth and flowering.
    While there are a number of commercially prepared orchid "mixes" available these would be unsatisfactory for your orchid. Generally a broken up bark is recommended with supplemental fertilizing . Feeding is best done with a liquid and I recommend MiracleGro as it has a low formulation and can be used with every watering during active growth without any burning of the growth or leaves.
    On packing the mix down: to see what I mean lift up your potted plant by the plant.
    Did the pot fall off? If so OOOPPPSSS!!! I think from what I am seeing that lifting your plant by lifting up on the plant and not the pot will raise both plant and pot together.
    It is this condition that is the objective in repotting all orchids into pots. But don't worry about it. The secret to success is using the right size of pot with the plant and making sure to pack in the mix into the pot around the roots and is easiest achieved if the root mass is left intact. I think as you try it often enough you should get a handle on it. Just get more orchids to repot!

Finally: watering.
    Do not use softened water anytime. Use rain, distilled, or r/o as the best ones with regular tap water if nothing else is available.

5. Sandra75

Sandra75 Active Member

Wow there is a lot for me to learn. I have time to read more into your information until the flowering ends...then I'll re-pot. I guess I wont be going into dividing yet. About the bark, thats the potting bark type, right? I think I've seen bags of potting bark that said it was good for Orchid. For now when i hold just the Orchid, the pot stays with it. If my actual pot is 4.5 inches, I'll have to go with something just slightly over..like around 6 inches?