Does anyone know what this "weed" is growing in my friend's garden in Darwin?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Sue Darton, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Sue Darton

Sue Darton Member

She says she has tons of it and doesn't know what it is. She lives in Darwin, Australia.

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hello Sue,

I just spoke with David Tarrant, and he immediately identified it as a Cassia. I've done a bit more research, and feel fairly confident in suggesting that it is Cassia alata, known commonly as candlestick cassia.

Some links:

Cassia alata (PDF) from the University of Florida Environmental Horticulture program factsheets

Potential Environmental Weeds in Australia lists it as being a noxious weed in northern Australia

Cassia alata from Texas A&M University (with photo)

PS Your friend from Darwin ought to sign up for the forums and share more interesting plants!

3. Sue Darton

Sue Darton Member

Yay! Thank you David and Dan. I passed the info along (m)

to Donna and she was so relieved to finally have a name for it (she says it's the prettiest plant in her garden so far). I also told her about the invite to sign up here and she just might do it because she has alot of strange things growing around her house. ;) Right now she's trying to clear out all the wild
    passionfruit.

It's also funny talking with her re: her vegetable garden - here (east coast) our growing season is short and we have to worry about it being too cold - there she has problems growing stuff because it's too warm.

Thanks guys!