Do You Know

Discussion in 'Organic Gardening' started by Millet, Dec 24, 2008.

1. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

J.I. Rodale is not the real name of the person famous for publishing the Organic Gardening magazine, and founding the Rodale Institute. Do you know his real name? - Millet

2. bob 2

bob 2 Active Member

Could it be Dr. Monsanto? Mah hahahahah!

Bob

3. bob 2

bob 2 Active Member

o.k. this is my last guess!

Rodale began as Rodale Manufacturing Co., an electronics company that Jerome Irving Rodale (he always went by J.I.) started with his brother. J.I., who changed his name from the Jewish one Cohen because he thought it was a handicap, with his brother moved the business from New York City to Emmaus in 1930 to reduce costs. Later J.I. became fascinated with magazine publishing and the then-radical idea of organics, growing food without chemicals.

p.s. He died on stage on the Dick Cavett show.

Bob

4. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Bob, you are correct, his real name was Jerome Cohen. - Millet

5. bob 2

bob 2 Active Member

So Millet, are you sure the guy was never also Dr. Monsanto?
    You know , kind of like that Andy Kaufman/TonyClifton thing?

Bob

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  6. Mcoen

Mcoen Member

Dear Millet,
    I have gardened and done solar building a la Rodale since the 70's and am back at it again on a 4 acre place near Berthoud.
    I've seen a couple of posts of yours and am interested in both organic gardening and greenhouse gardening. Just building onto the house a 16 x 20 x12foot high sunspace. We want to grow limes, avocados and lots of kinds of vegetables. I used to have killer tomatoes in my passive solar house in Coal Creek Canyon. What would you suggest for any of this? Is there a good source for the trees locally?

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

>He died on stage on the Dick Cavett show<

Ironically, Rodale had bragged during his just-completed interview on the show that "I’m in such good health that I fell down a long flight of stairs yesterday and I laughed all the way", "I’ve decided to live to be a hundred", as well as the inevitable "I never felt better in my life!" [6] He had also previously bragged that "I'm going to live to be 100, unless I'm run down by some sugar-crazed taxi driver." [7][2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerome_Irving_Rodale