do string of pearls become fuller?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by moonlitpath, Jul 9, 2007.

1. moonlitpath

moonlitpath Active Member

Hello Everyone!
    I finally found a plant that I've been looking for!! It's called string of pearls, or senecio rowleyanus.

The only problem is, it came in a tiny little pot ... a 2 1/2" pot. Is this going to get more fuller or do I need to buy at least 4 more and plant them together so I can put them in a hanging basket?

~*moonlitpath*~

2. Rhynno

Rhynno Active Member

You should be able to lay some of the strings out onto the soil that you want the plant to spread out to and they should root. I had to chop mine back dramatically about two weeks ago and I'm hoping that the segments mine will do the same thing X(.

Cheers,

-Ryan

3. moonlitpath

Oh ok .. that sounds easy enough. I'm so glad that's it's so easy and that I don't have to doto much. =o)

Thank you so much Rhynno!!!

4. Rhynno

Rhynno Active Member

You're welcome :). You may also want to lightly press the pearls into the soil to encourage them. If you have something to keep them pressed into the soil too that would help (like a half broken toothpick, paper clips etc).

Good luck

-Ryan

5. moonlitpath

That's a really great idea, Rhynno! Thank you!

When I go to repot this, should I use cactus mix, right? Also, should I put a light layer of rocks on the bottom for drainage?

~*moonlitpath*~

6. Rhynno

Rhynno Active Member

Yup, or you can mix in some perlite with typical indoor potting soil. I'd suggest the layer of rocks in the bottom too like you said because these little guys usually don't like to have wet feet.

I've got two web sites that also might be of use to you too. The one you have to scroll down to read what people have posted about the plant. I hope that they help :).

-Ryan

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/propa/msg1212594512652.html?2

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2391/
    (just scroll down to the user posts near the bottom of the page for this one :) ).

7. tobenai

tobenai New Member

I've been looking for this succulent... Anyone know where in Edmonton I can get some?

thanks in advance