Distinguishing Grape Variety by Leaves?

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by Jess4IU, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Jess4IU

Jess4IU Member

Hello, we planted grapes this spring - some have done well and some haven't seemed to grow at all above ground. The problem now is that I'm not sure which grapes are which as I was not home when they were planted and my husband doesn't remember. So, I was wondering if you can distinguish grapes by their leaves? I have three varieties: Himrod Seedless Green, Blue Concord, and red variety that I haven't found the packaging for yet. My grapes actually have a one year warranty if they do not grow so I wanted to call so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. northerngrapes

northerngrapes Active Member

Hi The term is ampelography.

Cheers

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  3. northerngrapes

Hi Its is possible to id grape vines by their leaf. It's also easier that you know what varieties you have. The term is ampelography.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ampelography

I have some pics of Himrod, Concord and many other cultivars with both fruit/leaves.
    Some of the more common red grapes include Canadice, Suffolk Red.

If you like I'll put some pics of Himrod and Concord.

Cheers

4. Jess4IU

Jess4IU Member

It would be great if you could post the images and I'll continue looking up to see if I can figure out which is which. Thanks for the help!

5. northerngrapes

Hi Here are some photos of Himrod and Concord

Attached Files:

6. Jess4IU

Jess4IU Member

Thanks again. I'm fairly certain now that the red grapes are growing because the leaves look much different than those pictured. But, I'm not sure about the other as the two above seem somewhat similar but I think it might be the concord. I posted a picture - maybe you can tell me whether you agree? Thanks!

Attached Files: