discouraging raccoons, ideas?

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by Paula B, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Paula B

Paula B Active Member

Last evening I watched 3 baby raccoons on the fence going in and out of the grape vines. (cute as buttons) Mom must have been near by but I didn't see her. This tells me I will really need to have a tight fitting lid on my garbage can this winter. What else should I do to discourage them? I've ordered MANY spring bulbs which I plan to plant in October. Is bonemeal an attractant? Should I use bulb food instead? Any other tips will be much appreciated.

2. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Ain't living in this neck of the woods fun? All the lovely little and not so little garden eating machines. As far as rocky racoon is concerned, either a good fence or a very large dog is all I can think of. The racoons as I remember didn't bother my bulbs, but it's been quite a while since I lived in the San Juans. You'll get more or better advice from others. There are a bunch of the members that live in your area, Barb

3. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Paula, I've found that racoons love grapes. They go after my grapes every year as soon as they start ripening. If you can completely cover your vines, top and sides, you may be able to keep them away from the grapes. That's usually not possible with any sizeable collection of grapevines. I use an electric fence that I set up around the perimeter of the vines after the first sign of damage. It's the only effective deterent that I'm aware of.

4. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Do Racoons climb to great heights????
    Just asking as we have a native marsupial possum that likes to eat everything including roses, fruit, and young shoots as well as thunder across rooves in hobnail boots.

Liz

5. Barbara Lloyd

Yep Liz, I've seen them about 50 ft up a Douglas Fir watching us in the Hot Tub and snickering - I swear! Sounds like someone parselled out the same critters to all contenents and just gave them different shapes and coats to wear. ;))))
    barb

6. Paula B

Paula B Active Member

I concur to seeing raccoons at great heights. We have a spruce tree that was topped once and now is growing several new leaders. At the crutch of the leaders snuggles the raccoon soaking up the early evening sun at about 40 feet from the ground.

Good to know that it is the raccoons who like our grapes. It is not practical (because of location) to erect an electric fence but I can dream . .

7. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

But their eyes reflect the light of your flashlight and hence you can often get off a good shot. (My native Albertans will understand and approve although my new BC compatriots will be horrified; don't tell PETA anywhere.)

8. Barbara Lloyd

I guess my general philosophy is to mostly just live-and-let-live. Appreciate them for their antics while doing all we can to save our favorite stuff.
    Soccerdad, more people than you realize share your views. I do when it come to otters invading my pond - "History" and some of the nastier Coons have been delt with in this manner. Trap them and shove a 22 Browning down their throat when they bite it. My Grandson has some great looking Coon tails to display on his hat! I'm not in the San Juan Islands anymore so have to be more tolerant/civalized here in the City. barb

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  9. Liz

Our various fruit eating varmits are protected. Sort of glad they are. We have made enough creatures extinct on this continent since white man landing 200 odd yrs ago. Hunting is not huge here except the various feral imports are hunted. Deer, Horses, buffalo, pigs, camel, rabbits, foxes, wild exdomestic cats, goats, wild dogs......probably left a few out. How big are these racoons ..small dog???

Liz

10. Barbara Lloyd

Liz,
    I'd say the body alone is somewhere around 20" (without tail). Never got close enough to measure for sure. If threatened they turn into a snarling mass of teeth and claws. Had one try to crawl thru a lower window one night while I was sitting right there playing chess with my Son. Grabed a piece of firewood and pushed him back out the window and closed it quickly! But that was in the San Juan Islands where they pretty much do as they please. It seems when the population just about gets unbearable Rabies both feline and canine breaks out and the population is greatly reduced for a few years. barb

11. Liz

Rabies is one thing we don't have thank God. They sound like pretty cross creatures. The possums here are harmless they can even be trained to come for fruit as they do for the tourists in one of the city parks near the Hilton.

Liz

12. lkajdan

lkajdan Member

It may be much too late a reply to this, but we have the same problem with Raccoons stealing our apples and grapes. We bought a motion activated sprinkler that we turn on each evening once the kids go to bed. So far so good. The apples are wonderful and not a single one lost this year! Our one year old got a bit startled one morning when I forgot to turn it off however...

13. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Thought Raccoons liked water! Can easily imagine them deliberately coming in for a shower on a hot night ;-)