Propagation: Desert rose help and soil help

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by jreidsma, Jan 6, 2010.

1. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

Hi I am still trying to grow Adenium obesum seeds which I got a www.seedrack.com and I got maricle grow cactus and palm soil for them but didnt know if like mixing half and half soil and dirt would help or anything. I also have african violet, moisture control, and the cactus maricle grow. Also any advice for growing them would be appreciated. Thank you

2. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

Small world! We are neighbors. I'm over in Byron Center.

You will need one of those small heat mats to get the soil warm enough. Flowerland has them. In fact, one of those seed starter kits with the mat and clear plastic top will work well. Knowing you are from west Michigan, you might want to invest in a grow light.

If/when the seeds germinate (you don't know how old seeds are when you purchase them), keep a watchful eye on them. Back off on the water and just keep the mix slightly moist. Remove the plastic top. If they dry out, they will die. If they are wet, fungus will set in and they will die. The first month, or so, after germination is a risky period and expect quite a few plants to die off.

Once the plants have established a strong root system, then you can very gently transplant into a 50/50 mix of perlite and cactus/succulent mix. Just up pot them a little. You want the mix to dry out within 24-48 hours.

When the overnight temperatures are consistently greater than 50*F (June), then you can move the plants outdoors to a protected spot on the North side of your house. In
    a few weeks, you can move them to an East or West exposure for the rest of the summer.

When the overnight temperatures start to drop below 55*(Sept-Oct), then bring them indoors. They will do fine as long as they get plenty of sun. They will have a 6-8 week dormant period with the leaves dropping off. No worries. Keep the soil mix on the dry side. In March, they will perk up and start sending out new growth. Up pot them April-May and start the cycle over again.

Once the caudex of the plant gets about as big around as your thumb, you can move them to a full, southern, sun exposure in July. Remember, any plant that is moved from indoors to outdoors will need at least a few weeks to get used to the increased light. They can and do get sunburn if you try to rush things (personal experience).

Mark

3. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

Thanks for all the info.for a heating pad I wonder if I could set them in a fish aquarium with a desert heater on the bottom? It has hissing cockroaches in it but they are in seperate little tuperware tubs. So I could just set the pot were the heater is. The only problem is I only have east windows (I live in a mobile home) but I could set them by the one that gets some light then put them outside on my porch/pation thing. I can just get a plant light and put them under it I just need to find one.

O hi I didnt notice you were in Michigan to. Have you ever been to the fredricks meijer gardens?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2010