Identification: Deodar Cedar??

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by nrscasey23, Jan 13, 2015.

1. nrscasey23

nrscasey23 New Member

Can someone please tell me if this tree is a deodar cedar or another cedar? A lot of the identification criterion fits, but the trees in the pictures I've seen do not match any of the actual trees in their shape. All of the trees in my area are quite old and most of the pics on the internet show immature trees. The attached pics were taken last week (January in Northeast Central Alabama). The trees in the online pics seem to have a central trunk with limbs off the side sticking straight out or pointed slightly upwards. The trees I've seen have many large upward pointing limbs giving the tree it's overall conical shape. The info is all conflicting!! If you don't quite understand what I mean, maybe I can explain it in a different way.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2015
  2. nrscasey23

nrscasey23 New Member

image.jpg

This is a different tree than the previous one and they are from different cities.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2015
  3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I wouldn't worry about the architecture, if the leaves and cones seem to fit that species then you can go with that identification. This one produces longer, more slender and flexible needles than the other Cedrus.

4. nrscasey23

nrscasey23 New Member

The reason I'm inquiring is that I'm trying to buy this tree. There are so many different subspecies(?) of the deodar cedar. The actual trees I've seen in person are 60'-70' tall. Some of those descriptions I've read state that it grows only up to about 50'. I've never seen the same name twice (i.e. Ice deodar, patti). Are the descriptions wrong or are they all pretty much the same? I'm so confused with all of this. I guess I will just buy the deodar and the atlas trees and hope they grow into something like what I'm wanting. Thanks for your help.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The ones with additional naming are cultivars, with their own sets of characteristics. If you just want a typical, towering Himalayan cedar buy one of those, without other names attached.

6. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

You're uploading from an iPhone? I'm not sure there is anything for it until we have an app.