Deer-resistant plants?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Unregistered, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Does anyone know of a publication that lists plants suitable for local (Gulf Island) gardens where deer are daily visitors?

Thanks.
    Jerry Azevedo

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

I beleive there is a publication (pamphlet) from province of BC ,not sure which Dept... Also, Western Garden Book (Sunset) has numerous lists of plants, deer resistant is one of the lists.

3. pwhusband@shaw.ca

pwhusband@shaw.ca Member

Dear Jerry; I have gardened on gabriola since summer '97 and have read lists of dear resistant plants available at our local nurseries.they list many plants that are not so dear-resistant,so I will offer my simple advice from experience. any strong tasting(or smelling herbs):eg. russian sage (all sages),lavender, wild huckleberry and most daffodils. I have found they will (the deer), eat everything else you can or do have growing!!!!Oh, also!, they have not damaged ,as yet, my golden cedar shrub nor the heather that is in the driveway. we eventually built a decent, inexpensive fence with good posts and stucco wire. good luck! pjrh

4. pwhusband@shaw.ca

pwhusband@shaw.ca Member

Jerry;the early spring 2004 edition of 'GardenWise' magazine, (one of British Columbia's garden magazines) has a good list of deer resistant plants.just noticed it this am.

5. northstar

northstar Member

deer resistant plants

I have a herd of deer coming through lately on the property.......
    they eat anything I have planted that I eat,
    peas, tomatoes, lettuce........squash and potato plants, strawberry plants, nasturtiums and all now well netted with mesh.......works well!
    they eat my daylillies too and any annual ......almost I had....

but......quite happily.......they don't touch the dahlias! Yippee!

Sorry, I don't have a book name but I know they are out there.