1. Portmoodygirl

Portmoodygirl Member

Hi All,

I hope I'm posting this in the right place. We have a tree in our neighbours yard that I think is dying. Do you know if it could be recovered or is it too late? It's in my neighbours yard and they refuse to do anything about it but I'm worried it will fall on our or their house during a storm or worse yet the children on the way to school (we live beside a school). We like it for privacy reasons so wondered if it's possible to keep it - or nurse it back to life, or should we just call it a day?

Is it DEAD dead? or just almost dead? If it is - do I call the city, since they don't want to get it taken down? I would hate to do that to my neighbours but I think safety first. I wanted to ask you guys incase there is a chance it's not fully dead?

TIA for all your help & thoughts!!

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

A cypress. The green foliage on the left-hand trunk is still healthy, but the rest is dying, probably due to Phytophthora fungal disease, and the disease is likely to spread to the rest over the next year or two. Even when dead, it won't fall for a long while (maybe 2-3 years after complete death) as the wood doesn't decay fast, so it isn't likely to be a danger. But it will look hideous once dead, and that is the time to approach your city council to apply for permission to remove it - they won't object to removal of a dead tree.

Portmoodygirl likes this.
  3. Portmoodygirl

Portmoodygirl Member

Many thanks for your help Michael - that was great information and I really appreciate your thoughts! THANK YOU!