Dead tomatoe plants

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Deep Cove Moe, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Deep Cove Moe

Deep Cove Moe Member

Hi Everyone, I have (or had) six tomatoe plants that all died early last week. I live in North Vancouver and it has been wet and was cool prior to them dying. I seem to think it is from the crummy weather but wanted to see if anyone else had this problem. I also have squash plants which are growing well however, the small vegtables are getting rotten shortly after the flower falls off. Is this due to the weather as well?

2. David Payne Terra Nova

David Payne Terra Nova Active Member

I have most of my tomatoes in the greenhouse and use a watering system. None of the tomatoes or other plants in the greenhouse have had a problem.

I also have a tomatoe outside. When it was cooler and rainy last month, I covered it with a plastic sheet. It is doing great. I have been lucky, as none of the squash or other vegetables I have planted outside have gone bad either. Some of them lack polination though.

I will wager that your plants just got too wet.

3. Deep Cove Moe

Deep Cove Moe Member

Thanks David, This is my first year at vegtable gardening. Unfortunately the weather hasn't exactly been cooperating.
    Most of the other vegtables are doing fine but slow.