British Columbia: Daphnes

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Sevenoaks, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Sevenoaks

Sevenoaks Member

I have a daphne mezzereum which has almost completely died. I've had it for some 15 years from a young plant a few inches tall given me by a neighbour. I then noticed that some of the leaves of my daphne odora are also curling up and dying as is another low growing daphne (don't know the name of this one). Has anyone else had problems with their daphnes? Could it be from our wet, cold spring here in the lower mainland area?

2. David Payne Terra Nova

David Payne Terra Nova Active Member

I think you probably have a pocket of a soil disease called Armillaria sp. in the soil and it has rotted your roots.

Armillaria can sit dormant and not effect any-thing susceptable for years, until your shrubs roots touch where the disease is in the soil. I have read that it is believed to move through ground water too. So, with all of our rain this spring, there were consequences

I've had it attack Rhodos., Azaleas and mainly shade loving plants. There is nothing you can do.

Remove the plant and put it in the garbage. Replace it with some-thing different in that spot. Sorry.

3. Sevenoaks

Sevenoaks Member

Just to clarify: all 3 daphnes are in different beds on different sides of the house. It seems strange that I have suddenly got 3 pockets which are contaminated with Armillaria in totally different areas of the garden. The daphne odora is growing right next to a rhodo and a pieris, neither have shown any distress. Could it not be something else?

4. David Payne Terra Nova

I see. Can you put up a couple of pictures? Some-one else will add to this very soon I'm sure.

A diagnosis can only be based on assumptions at times, when we can't actually be on site to inspect.

It is possible that your soil could display problems in many areas at the same time due to the weather.
    When the house was built for instance, the soil had to be spread around to level the area.

If the other plants roots aren't actually touching the infected soil they won't show signs of the disease.

The other thought I had was weavils. Is the base of the plant girdled at all?
    That's why either pictures or a site analysis are needed in some cases.

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Daphnes are notorious for suddenly dying without obvious causative symptoms.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

7. David Payne Terra Nova

Thank-you for the link Ron

8. Sevenoaks

Sevenoaks Member

Sorry not to have got back to you all sooner to thank you for your suggestions.