Damaged Acer Palmatum Mikawa Yatsubusa

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Rosy_S_Cenario, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Rosy_S_Cenario

Rosy_S_Cenario Active Member

Dear Forum,

the potted Acer Palmatum Mikawa Yatsubusa I had issues with twice (see below) has become quite worse; several twigs and one larger branch saw all leaves shriveling up. The shrivel-zones are at the "back" of the tree (facing a terrace window). The other two trees, potted after purchase in April 2016 with the exact same soil from the exact same batch are doing ok by comparison (more wind, more sun, inner city terrace situation).

First issue from October last year
    Second issue from June this year

Is my tree about to die? Is there something on the affected leaves or twigs I should examine closely?

Attached Files:

2. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Does the window reflect sun or get direct sun exposure?

The outer glass can get hot on some windows while others can reflect the sun away causing foliage to burn and in extreme cases I have seen it strong enough to warp vinyl siding.

I question the vent next. I have seen dryer vents and a/c compressor vents cause leaf failure on exposed parts of the tree.

3. Rosy_S_Cenario

Rosy_S_Cenario Active Member

Hi,

thanks - the window only receives late afternoon sun from around 5pm onwards and then not fully (awning); the vent is just grating surrounding the terrace. But it is peculiar that only the "backside" of the tree is so affected; I actually rotated it to take the picture.