Appreciation: Daitoku-ji in Kyoto

Discussion in 'Maples' started by emery, Jun 17, 2017.

1. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Daitoku-ji is an ensemble of temples, many active and most closed to the public, though one can glance in. It was a very calm and frankly spiritual place, was our first visit in Kyoto -- hence my first touristy thing with Adele -- and I wasn't very disposed to have my phone out all the time.

None the less there were some lovely maples and zen gardens, some of which I captured. I did not, unfortunately, note which individual temples the pictures were taken in. Most temples were quite small which led to an extreme economy of design.

Attached Files:

DougieMapleSeed and JT1 like this.
  2. emery

Continuing:

Attached Files:

JT1 likes this.
  3. emery

And a final set from this visit. We both agreed that after the bustle of Tokyo the diatoku complex was a perfect way to begin our Kyoto visit.

Attached Files:

JT1 likes this.
  4. opusoculi

opusoculi Rising Contributor 10 Years

Hello Emery .In your pictures, i reconise the Ryogen-in (round form and rocks on mosses in front of a grey wall, also little pagoda), the entrance of Koto-in conduced by strong bamboos, and perhaps the Zuiho-in ?(white gravel waves). Daisen-in is a master piece but cameras are definitivly prohibed (national treasure).
    Edit: If you saw well-built pruned pine trees, it was the south exit of Daitoku-ji and main entance too (photo1,2,3 ).

Daitoku-ji found in 14°century, had an important development in 16°c, with 24 sub-temples it cover more than 23 hectares=23 acres. Its impossible to see all sub temples in one day.

Note: Acer trees are not an important subject in monks gardens, Acer are major trees present in the environment and landscape.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    JT1 likes this.
  5. opusoculi

Continuing. (I am not able to name hight Acer trees in autumn habits).
    Interior architecture 16° century : some views because it had an influence for 20° century design.
    Joung japanese poeple are very present visiting gardens in november.
    Photo Kyo1966_17 is the simple garden of Korin-in.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    JT1 likes this.
  6. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Absolutely amazing photos! Thank you both for sharing!

When viewing the wooden structures it is important to realize they are built without nails or fasteners. The wood joinery techniques have stood the test of time and withstand earthquakes and typhoons. The post and beams are sourced with a great understanding of how trees grow and the expertise knowledge of wood characteristics and strength associated with the type of wood and woodgrain direction. For example a post is always standing with root side down and the apex side up. It goes a step further in that each corner is selected from the corresponding side of the mountain in which the tree was harvested. So a pole on the SE corner of the structure is sourced from the SE side of the mountain in the exact orientation that the tree was growing. The tree as it grows builds up resistance to the prevailing wind direction over time so that one side of the tree stands up to the wind and the other side is weaker. Western modern day storm science has just started to understand this when they studied the post storm damaging effects on natural forests when a strong straight line wind can be so damaging when out of the east when trees stand up to the same strength of wind when out of the west. The temple builders of centuries ago had understood this and incorporated this into their building techniques hundreds of years ago.

The genius of Japanese joinery and temple carpentry continues to amaze modern day science.

7. opusoculi

For sure ! Some more exemple.
    A roof of a temple is made for 100 hears, but a hight pagoda is dismounted each 30 years.
    Here is the colossal Kiyomizu-dera (3bis is the basis) . All trees around Kiyomizu-dera are sakura .
    If you have a large 30 Pouces screen, you will enjoy those photos.

Attached Files:

JT1 likes this.
  8. emery

Not the same temple, unfortunately we didn't visit Koke-dera, this is Kiyomizu-dera, to show the scaffolding. Kind of makes you wonder how the West developed civilization without bamboo!

Thanks for the wonderful pictures, Pierre.

-E

Attached Files:

9. opusoculi

Sorry for my mistake . It is Kiyomizu-dera. (rectify)
    Koke-dera is the "mosses garden" . For visit it, you must write a letter as a proposal of mariage to obtain a date ... 30 visitors a day. We saw it in november, it was not a good period for mosses but incredible.

@JT1 . Have look at those trees, Cryptomeria japonica. That is what you need if you want built that kind of Temple.
    A few kilometers from Kyoto they grow well.

Attached Files:

JT1 likes this.
  10. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Wow! Those are some majestic trees! The near by structure really puts the size into perspective. The otherwise large stone fence pillars look diminutive in comparison. Thank you for your generosity in sharing your amazing photos for everyone to see, it allows me to come back to them and dream of being there...

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  11. emery

Ah ha! I wondered, but with the scaffolding it was hard to tell! Nice to see it without, thanks.