Daffodil and crocus bulbs

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by DonnaW, Apr 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. DonnaW

DonnaW New Member

I had to dig up daffodil and crocus bulbs before the foliage died back. I would like to replant them in pots. Can I do that now and reasonably expect blooms next spring? I have several pots of decorative spring bulbs. If the newly dug bulbs won’t bloom, I’d rather hold them in a nursery pot for a year. Thanks in advance.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The chance of blooms would be decreased; all of the energy from the previous year would have gone into the flowers and leaves, and by digging it up without allowing the leaves to "recharge" the bulb over the late spring / early summer, they'll likely take a while to recover.

3. DonnaW

DonnaW New Member

Thank you! I probably knew that but was hoping. Most of the bulbs in question are small naturalized daffodil bulbs transplanted three or four years ago from a very shady area and, as I discovered, planted way too deep (12"+). (Children - trying to help.) They have never bloomed. I'll put them in nursery pots and try to remember that patience is a virtue!