Cyphostemma

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees Photo Gallery' started by caudex1, Aug 10, 2008.

1. caudex1

caudex1 Member

In my opinion the the greatest caudiciform, the ultimate in fatness and very easy to grow . C. juttae var ternatus being the easiest and relatively inexpensive to obtain. Other members of the genus can be found rarely and can quite expensive to purchase, uter and hardyi being the holy grail for any collector. Some are above ground caudex formers, juttae, currori, bainesii and uter fall into that group. A few form underground caudexs or tubers that send up annual vines or stems, elephantopus, montagnacii, adenocaule, cirrhosum, quinatum, hardyi, congestum, segmentatum and laza. Hybrids are available from time to time, most common it a juttae x hardyi plant nicknaked fat b*stard and is usually inexpensive.

Propagation is from seed or cuttings, the former being challenging. Seed can be difficult to germinate (juttae being the hardest) and sporadic. Cuttings are very easy, striking root in as little as 2 weeks form tubers rather than the typical caudex.

Attached is me transplanting my largest juttae v. ternatus

Attached Files:

2. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

Oh! I'm jealous!

I purchased a little C. juttae from Arid Lands a month ago. How old is that beast? I take it that those roots have been trimmed in that photo?

Mark

3. caudex1

caudex1 Member

Thanks Mark!
    Everyone that sees this plant says the same thing.

Purchased this in 1991 in a 4in pot, 1993 I put in a raised bed to speed up the growth after seeing one in Berkeley in the ground. It has had free root run for 17yrs, and weighs 140lbs! March of this year I put it into a pot to take to shows and local events. It's been to 2 shows and 1 C&S meeting, every time it steals the attention of all who come in contact with it. It's going to L.A. on the 15th for a big show, we'll see how it does against the heavy hitters of Southern California.

Attached Files:

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

That is impressive - and massive. 140lbs!