Curly willow heaving out of the ground? what to do?

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by barefootbutterfly, Nov 27, 2009.

1. barefootbutterfly

barefootbutterfly Member

I have a curly willow in my yard that seems to have, in the last few days, heaved itself up about 6 inches from the ground and is leaning to one side. A very large root is showing as well. (about 10 inches in diameter) The root seems solid in the ground still. Im wondering what may have caused this to happen & also if there is something I can do to remedy the situation. The tree looks to be heavy on the leaning side. Would cuting some branches off on the heavy side help at all now or should I leave it till early spring to do that?

Its such a disapointment since this tree is 12 yrs old & is just beautiful.
    Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Doesn't sound good; might be safest to cut it down and let it re-grow from the stump (which it will do, fast). Can you post a photo?

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Probably rootbound due to having been left in a pot too long at some point and now leaning over in the recent winds. Remove and replace with a new specimen, planting without deformed roots. You could root some cuttings of this same tree yourself, get a replacement going before taking the mother plant out.

Cutting well-established willows back hard at the end of winter each year, growing them as a stool or pollard is a good idea anyway as many do not produce attractive trees for common garden situations when allowed to grow unrestrained.