Cupressus nootkatensis 'Strict Weeping'

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers) Photo Gallery' started by dcsteg, Sep 12, 2007.

1. dcsteg

dcsteg Active Member 10 Years

Tall, extremely narrow tree with foliage hanging down directly against trunk with only an occasional aberrant branch. Pendulous to the extreme if I would cut the wild horizontal branching at the bottom but I prefer to leave it alone. I have it planted in my garden as a focal plant. Not sure how name tag should read as I see in another thread the species has been changed.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Re: Chamaecyparis nootkatensis 'Strict Weeping'

Probably it will end up being reverted to Cupressus, meanwhile it doesn't seem to have been settled yet. It's a matter of which opinion prevails, gains wide acceptance. Such things often take years.

3. Karalyn

Karalyn Active Member

I love this tree. I'm new to the conifer world and learning the botanical names as well as Tag Names. I think this a lovely Chamaecyparis Nootkatensis, but what do you mean when you say it might revert to a cupressus.
    What does that look like?

I have read also, I think at Iseli that the horizontal branch is left to add character or something interesting. Which is good. I guess only can be a problem if it obscures another plant.

4. dcsteg

Hi Karalyn,

Just a name change that's all. Nothing physically to do with the conifer in color or growing habit.

5. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

The new book by Bitner has a photo of this in which the bottom branching has become quite broad indeed, so I am not sure it is one of the fully fastigiate cultivars like Van Den Akker or Green Arrow.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I wouldn't expect any of them to not develop a basal skirt, but I haven't studied these narrow forms systematically. I have noticed that labeling in local outlets seems to be mixed up, as is so often the case.

7. dcsteg

I have to assume this one is correct. I special ordered it from Iseli and help take it off their truck myself. Still you can't be 100% sure.
    Except for the skirt which extends 2 feet up the trunk all other branches hang straight down. A conifer with a split personality for sure.

8. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Those bottom branches are the beginning of what Bitner's photo shows - not so much a skirt, which word I use to describe foliage spreading on the ground, but rather a wide base made up of those low, wide branches. The whole plant ends up shaped like an alchemist's flask, wide base tapering quickly to a narrow neck. Fascinating that it should have two such different co-existing growth habits.

9. magnolavastic

magnolavastic Member

]I got this plant as a rooted cutting directly from Iseli's about 8 years ago. It was then about 5 inches. Now it is 25 ft. tall. It has no significant "skirt" and no horizontal branches. It is a strong plant. The wind is not a problem. I wonder how tall is wil be ultimately? It is my favorite conifer next to my weeping forms of Sciadopitys verticillata. I also grow 'Van den Ak(k)er', 'Green Arrow' etc. 'Strict Weeping' (syn. 'Strict Weeper') is the narrowest form. US Zone 7 with cool summers (Norway).

10. Karalyn

Karalyn Active Member

Wow, that is amazing! Have I missed your photo of your 'Strict Weeping'? Its getting late so I'll check it out tomorrow. Thanks.

11. magnolavastic

magnolavastic Member

I'll try to get a photo in a few days. The problem is to get all the tree in one photo.

12. magnolavastic

magnolavastic Member

Here is a picture-

Attached Files:

13. Karalyn

Karalyn Active Member

Nice picture, thank you!