Crystals.

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by ianedwards, Jan 6, 2009.

1. ianedwards

ianedwards Active Member

The crystals on Anthurium crystallinum add greatly to its attractiveness. But one of our seedlings does seem to be overdoing it somewhat. Is this unusual?

Attached Files:

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Not really. It's just a more extreme form of the mutation.

3. Sigtris

Sigtris Active Member

After looking at the photos, I am not sure if that a A crystallinum.

4. stone jaguar

stone jaguar Member

Anthurium 'Crystal Hope' from TC...true, undiluted Anthurium crystallinum are surprisingly rare in cultivation. Most plants appear to be F1 or F2 hybrids between this sp. and sibs such as A. magnificum, A. forgetii and A. papillilaminum. While all are handsome, they will tend to show some of their hybrid traits as they grow out.

'Crystal Hope' is highly succeptible to Xanthomonas blight (I note that you've trimmed back a leaf or two) and abuse in meristem prop has resulted in plants that tend to be dwarfed and multi-stemmed. I would urge you to try and train a single dominant stem out of this thing if you want a nice-looking specimen down the road. Leaves of this cultivar do not achieve anywhere near the large sizes seen in TC "crystallinum".

J

5. ianedwards

ianedwards Active Member

A couple more photos might help.

Attached Files:

6. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Hey,
    Qlder here and I was just wondering where you got your Anthurium from? I am finding it hard to get any but the flowering ones up here. I've been looking on the internet but not having much luck. I've either worked at or know all the nurseries in town and they are not keen on getting specific orders in. Even if you know a place that sells them down your way I could get in contact with them.
    Any help would be great.
    Cheers.

7. ianedwards

ianedwards Active Member

Chungii, I can't remember where the crystallinum came from, quite a few years ago. But your best bet would be Arden Dearden at equatorialexotics.com in Cairns. They seem to be reliable.

8. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Thank you I will give them a go. On their site now, good range of plants, could end up with more than I bargained for (a lot more :})
    I am at the stage of garden where I'm filling gaps and have a lot more shade now than 4 years ago when I had a bare yard. (I could always create new gaps if I have to)

9. trikus

trikus Active Member

Ian , I hope you can get that superb cultivar growing well . Send it up here for a winter holiday if you like .

10. ianedwards

ianedwards Active Member

Trikus, I suspect that the next leaf is going to look like the common form. Pity!