Crystallinum vs Clarinervium

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by Sigtris, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Sigtris

Sigtris Active Member

Since those two look so much alike: Is there and easy way to tell them apart?
    Some websites claim that Crystallinum is from Mexico and other state the same for the A clarinervium

2. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Both are found in southern Mexico but A. crystallinum is apparently also common deeper in Central America. The patterns are very similar but in my opinion (just my opinion) A. crystallinum has a more beautiful and delicate pattern. The blades of A. clarinervium are also thicker which to a botanist would be considered "heavily coriacious". Brian likely can offer even better ways of telling them apart.

3. LariAnn

LariAnn Active Member

The way I tell them apart is the distinctively heart-shaped leaf on A. clarinervium, but the real definitive identifier, for me, anyway, is the fact that I've hybridized with A. clarinervium and not with A. crystallinum! you can see one of my hybrids at the link below. Another is a cross with A. ochranthum and that one is really interesting; once I take pics and post them, I'll provide a link.

LariAnn
    Aroidia Research
    http://aroidiaresearch.org/andrclar.htm

4. Briansbotanicals

Briansbotanicals Member

I believe one of the major differences is in berry color. The Clarinervium will have large orange berries while the Crystallinum will have white to violet berries. Berry colors play a large part in IDing anthuriums. Many believe that all velvet leaf forms will cross with each other as well as all panama species. I am not sure if this is true or not but I have seen many odd hybrids even birdsnest forms crossed with cordate forms. I think crystallinum is an amazing plant though clarinervium has very nice markings clean and cut. Their are tons of forms that look similar to these and some are more spectacular than others all velvet forms are very impressive in my book.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  5. photopro

For those of you joining us that are not yet intune with botanical terms, "cordate" leaves are simply heart shaped. But Brian's descriptions does make it easier to identify.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  6. LariAnn

LariAnn Active Member

I believe it's "cordate" not "coradate". Must be those darn fingers again!

7. Sigtris

Sigtris Active Member

I always thought it was "cordata", so lets make up our minds

8. photopro

Yep. I'll fix it! My brain just can't keep my fingers under control!

9. trikus

trikus Active Member

Superficially these species are similar , but once you have seen them it's easy to tell them apart . I have yet to see seed on a A.clarinervium , but will try very hard to pollinate mine . Have seen some variation , maybe its a slight difference between the Guatemalan form and the Mexican one . Cannot find a picture of A.crystallinum at the moment , there is one that is seeding next door , but as the petiole has a flat on one side I am pretty certain it has some A. magnificum in it .

Attached Files:

10. LariAnn

LariAnn Active Member

I have both set seed on A. clarinervium and I have seen at least one plant in another collection that was setting seed. A. clarinervium seed is fairly large, like a small pea size, and easy to germinate. The berries on this plant ripen to a light orange color and can have more than one seed per berry.

11. Sigtris

Sigtris Active Member

Since the rain forest in Guatemala and in the state of Chiapas in Mexico it is actually the same, even some parts of the rain forest in Belize are the same, I think that there is not much difference in any of the A clarinervium and A crystallinum, to the eyes.
    I have plants from the three places, so when I get seeds from any of them I will post pictures and confirm what LariAnn says.

12. Briansbotanicals

Briansbotanicals Member

Here are some photos of Clarinervium fruit. Also attached in a Crystallinum form it is hard to find a pure species but I believe this is a species in this photo but very hard to tell unless collected or collected data.

I would believe their are tons of clones of any anthurium species. I have seen multiple froms of Clarinervium I would not say they are extremely noticable but I did notice them. Better colorations thinner leaves.

Attached Files: