Wildflowers: Colombian Yellow Flower

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Pitter, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Pitter

Pitter Active Member 10 Years

Can anyone tell me what this plant in Colombia might be?

Attached Files:

2. hortiphoto

hortiphoto Active Member 10 Years

Perhaps a Justicia (Jacobinia) of some sort?

3. Tony Rodd

Tony Rodd Active Member

4. Pitter

Thank you. Columnea spp. certainly fits the bill. The difference I see from Columnea consanguinea is that my plant has the red hearts on the tips of the leaves. I notice in Wikipedia that it says Columnea consanguinea is endemic to Panana, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Colombia and Ecuador. Does that mean the "variety" is endemic?

5. Tony Rodd

Tony Rodd Active Member

The Wikipedia article is clearly written by someone who is not fluent in English, nor a taxonomic botanist, though thay have given a fairly comprehensive account of the species. A botanist would not have used "endemic" in quite that way, as in botany it means that the species in question occurs wild in just one geographical area, whether a state, country, island, continent or any such clearly delimited area. So you can't really say a species is endemic to several countries. They should have used "native" or "indigenous".

Columnea is a large and diverse genus, so that picture I linked to was just a start. Try browsing through the pictures here - http://www.gesneriads.ca/alphabet.htm - to see if you can get any closer.

Not sure what you mean by "variety"

6. Pitter

Thank you for that link. My understanding of "endemic" is as you stated which is why I was wondering what the Wikipedia author was refering to.