Colmanara Wildcat Green Valley

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by quique1000, Dec 20, 2009.

1. quique1000

quique1000 Member

I Just purchased a Colmanara Wildcat Green Valley in bloom and it was wonderful; the blooms lasted for 2-3 weeks.

It seems however that the plant is dying:
    1. Its pseudobulbs are shriveled and covered with blackspots.
    2. Its roots have rotted
    3. One of the leaves turned yellow and fell off.

If roots have rotted, it seems too much water. However, that would mean smooth well developed psudobulbs.

I have it in the vicinity of a window, facing south (Washington DC climate), no direct light.

Can anybody shed some light?

Thanks,

2. arcticshaun

arcticshaun Active Member

Your plant is probably suffering from overwatering. The underlying reason is probably not enough light. Without light to give the plant energy the roots don't take up water (the leaves don't need it as much), the roots then suffocate and die. Subsequent waterings only make the problem worse. Changes to watering schedule due to reduced light intensity at this time of year can be problematic if you maintain a consistent watering scedule all year. After awhile you should be able to judge approximate water content of your media by weight (just in your hands) or by using a bamboo skewer pushed deeper into the media. If in doubt err on the side of dry especially when light levels are low.
    So now what, most Oncidium intergenerics will put out new growths after flowering so all is not lost. Without seeing the plant I can only recommend general practices. More light, less water (more misting/humidity) and likely a repot into a similar sized pot with new media when new growths begin to show.

Good luck

Shaun

3. quique1000

quique1000 Member

Thanks! Ill try that