coconut mulch

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by rudell, May 2, 2009.

1. rudell

rudell Active Member 10 Years

Hi...found out the garden centre has coconut mulch ..would this be as good as coconut chips???

2. MannieBoo

MannieBoo Active Member

I've never heard of coconut chips but I do use coconut mulch, it's the husks crushed up, I layed down some last year and it still looks as good this year as when I first put it down, I also put it over a layer of newspaper to keep the weeds from coming through. I'll be getting some more this year. It's way better then bark mulch.

3. rudell

this is for my potted citrus....?

4. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Coconut mulch should produce a very light medium providing the tree's root system with good aeration. If you can't find CHC the mulch should be a good substitute. - Millet (1,358-)

5. rudell

well the coconut mulch (mixed it with Perlite) seems to be working great!!!!...it's been about 2 weeks and things look good...can't wait to put my ponderosa outside ....its a bit harder for me to water now as I use to take the tree in the shower to give it a good watering and draining but now the 6 or 7 gallon pot is just too heavy
    thanks...........without this forum my ponderosa would probably not have survived..

Attached Files:

6. rudell

I've been putting my citrus outside during the day and bringing it in at night but would like to leave it out ...would this be ok now in May ???? what if they announce frost...??? should I bring it in???

7. icon149

icon149 Member

i usually bring mine in if it is going to get below 50 degrees at night. but the location i have found for my citrus gets morning sun so i don't want the roots to not be working (below 50 or so) and the hot sun to be beating down on the leaves. I might be doing a little to much work but i figure better safe then sorry. I also have a Key Lime which isn't as cold hardy as most other citrus. I always bring it in if it is suppose to be just a few degrees below 50.