Climbing plants for arbor in Vancouver, BC

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by Gieselmann, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Gieselmann

Gieselmann Member

Hello there,

we have a relatively small arbor that is about 14' long, 8' wide, and 9' high. It's in a sunny spot. We planted two red trumpet vines (one on the northwest and the other on the southwest side of the arbor). We are considering to plant at least one more climber on the south-east side. Kiwi and grapes are probably not good as they become way too big. Orange honeysuckle seems to be a bit sensitive .....

Would you have any other idea what climber we could put in? Is there an evergreen climber out there?

Thank you.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

3. Gieselmann

Gieselmann Member

Interesting, you think I may have overplanted already. Still, we would like to "green-up" the column in the south-east corner of the arbour as this column is very visible. There is not a lot of growing space (due to the concrete foundation), so any plant growing there is probably not getting very big.

One idea is to put another trumpet vine in it; but, of course, then it's really overplanted. Alternatively, we could put a plant in that grows up only 3-6 feet, ideally an evergreen.

Thank you for any suggestions.

4. wf1992

wf1992 Member

We've a nice evergreen clematis - am I allowed to post if I don't remember the names of my plants? :) Ours blooms quite early, is scented, and quite vigorous. Definitely gets bigger than 6', but there must be more than one evergreen variety out there.