Climbing hydrangea on cedar fence

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by eloharein, May 13, 2009.

1. eloharein

eloharein Active Member

Hi,
    is it advisable to train a climbing hydrangea along my solid cedar fence? My concern is that if I ever wanted to remove it, the sticky stuff would ruin the cedar (brand new, and beautiful).
    The hydrangea was planted three years ago, before the fence was built, and it starting to really take off. Would it tolerate transplanting?

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

you could put in a trellis for the hydrangea...that would keep it off the fencing yet still kind of 'look' like it's on the fence...

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If you dig it up now you will lose the three year establishment period and probably have to wait again for it to get over having been dug up, re-establish.

It climbs by adhering to surfaces, in the same fashion as ivy. A trellis would not help unless the climber is kept from getting onto the fence behind. It is also large-growing, needing a big surface in time.

I don't really like it trained to a structure, more impressive growing up a bare conifer trunk. And even then I would choose a Schizophragma hydrangeoides instead, as its floral bracts remain white a much longer period of time.