clematis for part shade

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by flowercents, Mar 9, 2006.

1. flowercents

flowercents Active Member 10 Years

I'm looking for a clematis to grow in part shade that can be pruned back hard each year, type 3 I think it is called. Any suggestions?

2. oscar

oscar Active Member

The viticella forms, i believe can be hard pruned in spring and will still flower in summer and early autumn.

3. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Where in B.C. wil the Clematis be cultivated?

4. flowercents

In southwest BC, zone 7/8.

5. K Baron

I was just thinking, why not Jasminium nudiflorum? Fragrance is heavenly...

Remember, that most if not all Clematis require sun for showy bloom...if not for greenery ....

I would try C. armandii for its' evergreen appeal alone, and the fragrance too is intoxicating...

6. oscar

oscar Active Member

armandii is a wonderful Clematis, but i'm sure you couldnt cut it back too much.

7. K Baron

I'm not sure why you would need to cut it back hard every year...why not make a topiary clematis with C. armandii?

8. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

C armandii is a vigorous vine. It will be hard to keep this clematis contained and yet expect good blooming. The largest specimen in our garden is now 25 feet up the cedar tree in our backyard. I have so far managed to keep another specimen confined to a 8 foot section of a 4 foot tall fence, but it is a battle to keep it within it's allocated space.

However, I agree that it looks it's healthuiest with morning sun and afternoon shade.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2006
  9. flowercents

A vine that would require or tolerate heavy pruning is the only type of vine my husband feels comfortable growing, since the trellis is right up next to our house. We don't want to damage our home.

10. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

11. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

You mentioned clematis for partial shade, which is probably the most commonly recommended placement for clematis in my reading. I thought that I would suggest the following books for you, which hopefully you can find at your local library and then spend hours thumbing through the lovely photographs and individual descriptions.

Toomey, Mary and Everett Leeds. An Illustrated Encyclopedia of Clematis. (Timber Press/British Clematis Society 2001).

Evison, Raymond. The Gardener’s Guide to Growing Clematis. (Timber Press 1998).

Powdery mildew and clematis wilt are common problems in growing clematis, so I like to research whether a particular variety is susceptible, since plants with powdery mildew are removed from our garden. I have actually heard reports that Cl. armandii has problems with powdery mildew here in Seattle. The viticella hybrids are those most resistant to clematis wilt and other diseases, I believe, and there is a book devoted to just these clematis, which is fun to page through if you can find it.

Howells, John. Trouble Free Clematis: the Viticellas. (Garden Arts Press 1998).

12. flowercents

Thanks for all your replies. I have bought and planted a 'pink chiffon' and hope it does well. It is very small, so I don't know if it will bloom this year.

13. McNeil

McNeil Member

Hi there, flowercents, Here is a wonderful site for Clematis, the pictures are lovely and the info on how to prune is wonderful and there are a whole bunch of Clematis for shade. enjoy.
    http://stores.yahoo./com/chalkhillclematis/order.htm or do a google search and type in Chalk Hill Clematis. I just love this site.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2010
  14. Newt

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2010
  15. McNeil

McNeil Member

Hi Again, thank you for the new sites on Clematis and I will enjoy but,
    does anyone know of a Clematis grower who will ship into B.C. Canada, I do know that Chalk Hill Clematis does not ship into Canada. Here's hoping.

16. Newt

Hi McNeil,

I've read that Joy Creek will ship to Canada.
    http://www.joycreek.com/
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/clematis/msg0510175331940.html

I understand that Canadian Tire also carries them at their stores. Here's an interesting conversation.
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/clematis/msg072256301696.html

You might want to use this site to search for references and places in Canada. Once you search by country, you can search by specific plants and get their references.
    http://davesgarden.com/gwd/

And there is a fourm just for Clematis at Garden Web.
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/clematis/?31292

Hope you don't end up spending all your grocery budget on these beauties. They can be addictive!

Newt

17. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Clearview Nursery in Aldergrove, BC, is the nursery supplier of many of the Clematis that can be purchased in large retail stores in Canada. They've just opened a small retail location in Langley, BC, as of 3 days ago.

18. bellegurl

bellegurl Member

I have a viticella--type C. It is growing beautifully. It is in a pot, sitting at the corner. I will prune it in the spring, but for the winter, what is the best way to protect its roots. Covering it with something? ie: mulch?

19. Newt

Hi Bellegurl,

I don't know your hardiness zone, but if it's colder then zone 8 you will definately need to insulate the entire pot so there's no freeze and thaw action.

Newt

20. bellegurl

bellegurl Member

There is one thing about my clematis that is worrying me. When I transplanted it to my pot, it partially snapped about 2 inches above the soil line. The vine still grew and the flowers still bloomed beautifully. Now, I've noticed that the leaves starting from the soil line and going up are starting to turn brown (I guess this is normal). I am just wondering, due to that break--will the clematis be ok in the spring? It was hardy enough to survive the transplant with a break, but what can I do to repair it and protect it for the winter?

21. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

I'd bet it will be fine.

For future reference, by the way, when you have a new question, feel free to start a new thread. It is actually easier for everyone else that way so we don't have to reread through an old thread (to refresh our memories) and then discover at the 19th post that that was all a waste of time as you have posted an entirely new question.

22. Newt

Bellegurl, your clematis could have a touch of clematis wilt. The viticellas don't usually get it, but do keep an eye on it. As Karin says, it should be ok. Here's info about Clematis wilt.
    http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/clematis/clemindx.htm

Karin also made another good point about a new question, especially if you don't get an answer.

Newt