clematis care

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by whistler, Jun 1, 2006.

1. whistler

whistler Member

So much advice "says to keep the clematis roots shaded and the top in sun" I believe its all about the moisture level. i have some with their roots shaded and others in full sun. As long as one keeps them moist, the sun exposed ones grow faster. Comments?

2. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Whistler --I've been thinking the same thing. I grow quite a few clematis, and notice that many in retail centres look terrible after a while. I asked a fellow in one nursery why their clematis always looked so good, while most didn't and he replied without hesitation--water.

In containers of course that water becomes a lot more of a problem, needing daily attention which they often fail to give once the plants are delivered to a retailer!

Anyway, I have kept clematis beautiful in black nursery containers as long as the sun doesn't hit the side of the pot, and the media never dries out. Once it does dry out and stress the plant, the brown edged leaves look bad for the rest of the season. Root temps are supposed to stay below 27C, and that is a lot easier in the ground, so I would just concentrate like you say on keeping them from water stress.

I find growing quite easy once that is dealt with.

3. whistler

whistler Member

Hi Growest,
    Thanx for the reply