General: Christmas tree rosemary

Discussion in 'Herbs for the Kitchen' started by elizabethrall, Aug 18, 2009.

1. elizabethrall

elizabethrall Member

I'm trying to identify a rosemary plant. It is upright but naturally(with very little trimming) Christmas tree shaped. Limbs from central trunk grow out, droop down and then up at tips. I'd like to find more of these plants. I thought it was R. prymadialis but all the pictures of that look more bushy. Any 'off the top of your head" ideas?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Maybe grow more yourself from cuttings of this one. Then you don't have to worry about which cultivar it might be in order to get duplicates.

3. elizabethrall

elizabethrall Member

I'm trying! So many people ask me about it I was hoping for a magic name, or something. It really is a beautiful plant and I'm trying to get a picture that really shows it off. Right now it has Blue Daze and Profusion Zinnias running thru it and around it. But I guess rootings are part of the fun of gardening. I'm just getting into that. Thanks for the reply

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Try searching rosmarinus propagation, rosemary cuttings...should be comparatively easy.

5. elizabethrall

elizabethrall Member

Says the gardener with the green thumb...Lol!
    Thanks! Weather's been difficult this summer(Mississippi, heat, drought, humidity) and propagation requires lots of attention this year! But I'm trying! Envy your weather. My sister lives near you and all she does is complain that it's not hot. *sigh*

6. Dana09

Dana09 Active Member

Rosemary grows really easily from cuttings.
    Don't know about that particular sort of course but I have accidentally rooted it in water! I have been told by others that this works too but I use the regular soil method these days if I want another one.
    I had one stand of rosemary so big people thought it was an evergreen, but well, it is! It lasted about 20 yrs til this last harsh winter here.
    But of course, I had another patch started.
    The variety you are growing is new to me. Interesting.

D

7. Dana09

Dana09 Active Member

I have also been told that it is grown in hedge form in the South of France and it is considered an air purifier.

I use it for roasting Lamb

& also good with garlic & new potatoes in spring