Choisya ternata ('Lich'?) and Aucuba japonica 'Variegata'

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Ryan Green, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Ryan Green

Ryan Green New Member

Identification Help

Hello, I have two outdoor plants that I am trying to identify. I live in Enland, but my mom is from Texas and she identified them right away. Unfortunately, I do not remember what she called them. Even a classification would be helpful. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. carsona

carsona Member

The first picture looks like Choisya ternata. The new leaves appear to be yellow so your plant could possibly be a cultivar called 'Sundance'. My guess for the second plant is Aucuba japonica 'Variegata' I hope these names help.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

As if names weren't confusing enough already for some plants, the introduction of "trade names" has emerged to cause more hair-pulling.

Sundance is a tradename for the cultivar Choisya ternata 'Lich'. No other plant can be marketed under the name Sundance, I believe, although a plant can have it as its cultivar name...

So, I can sell you "Sundance", which means Choisya ternata 'Lich', or I can sell you Magnolia 'Sundance' or Hosta 'Sundance' but I have to say Magnolia or Hosta when referring to the latter.

I don't have the information up yet, but I'm teaching a course on plant names in the spring, FYI.

4. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

keep us in the loop for the course Daniel!