Chionanthus virginicus - germination help

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by hortfreak, Jan 7, 2007.

1. hortfreak

hortfreak Active Member Maple Society

Has anyone out there had success germinating Chionanthus virginicus? I have had seed several times but have never been able to get the seed to germinate. I am anticipating having some more seed soon so hope that someone can help. I have tried all my usual methods and so far nothing has proved fruitful. I appreciate any and all comments. Thanks.

2. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Hortfreak,

Patience is definately require with this one. They are also very slow growing trees. I have two in my yard that we planted 5 years ago. From this site:
    http://tomclothier.hort.net/page10.html

...sow 3-5months @ 70ºF, then 1-2months @ 39ºF, move to 70ºF for germination.

Newt

3. hortfreak

Thanks for the info. I must not have checked the Clothier recommendation. I tried the warm, cold, warm but to no avail. Perhaps the cold was too cold as you mention 39F, which is warmer than my usual cold treatment. Typically, for cold germinaters, I put them outside. I still have seed that I started two years ago with nothing happening. Although I don't normally toss seed for at least two years, often longer, I was about to give up on this as I was under the impression that Chionanthus germinated more quickly. Maybe this spring----. At any rate, I will try the fridge route with my new seed.

Thanks again.

4. Newt

You're so very welcome! I'm sure you already know this, but if you have fruit in the refrigerator with your seeds, especially pears or apples, the fruit will off-gas and could destroy the seeds.

Newt

5. hortfreak

Newt-

Thanks for the reminder. I did know that once upon a time but don't really think about it. I generally put seedings in fridge containers if they need a cold period. Perhaps I should not be quite so cavalier in my treatment of seedings going into the fridge even thought the containers are closed.

I desperately want this shrub/tree. It is so very beautiful and cannot believe that it is not more widely grown.

Many thanks again for the info.

Hortfreak

6. Newt

I had to search for quite a while to find mine. Also finding a male and female was difficult as well. One local nursery was nice enough to watch to see which ones had berries and mark and save it for me so I could have a pair. I wanted the berries for the birds. You can't find any locally grown?

Newt

7. hortfreak

Newt -

If life were only so simple. In my location it is a challenge to find much of anything other than Norway maples. I had to enlist professional help to find a 12' red oak this past spring. Horticulturally I think I live in a dead zone although it is getting a bit better. Worse, the nurseries don't get why I don't wish to purchase a Norway maple. Seriously though, propagation by seed is my real passion, and although I am not the most patient person by nature, I have become incredibly patient when it comes to growing something I really want. The satisfaction is immense.

Hortfreak

8. Newt

That's a shame you have such a limited tree selection. I wish I could send you some seeds or cuttings!

Newt

9. bamboofish

bamboofish Active Member

Hi hortfreak,

I would be curious to know what you're growing in the county that is borderline hardy....
    I am doing the same here in Ottawa, bamboos, magnolias, J.maples, choi. virg., cornus kousa & florida....
    I know this is an old post for the choinanthus virginicus. I distribute them from the western nurseries that I represent into your area.
    Well near you, yes your local nurseries are pretty conservative and slow at trying new things, but I try. Checkout Baltimore Valley G.C. in Baltimore north of Coburg. Great deals at their auction this month.
    And nearer to Ottawa in Garden Market in Smith's falls, and Rideau Woodland in Merrickville.

thanks,
    Rich