Cherry Mystery

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by KimberlyKid, May 29, 2014.

1. KimberlyKid

KimberlyKid Member

Since this is my first post I hope this is in the right forum.

I have had a lot of trouble with mail-order cherry trees. Some were planted in the fall, others in the spring. Out of six tries, one survived to a height of 6 ft. with a patchy looking bark. It was so miserable I removed it. Last month I found a nice looking Bing Cherry in a nursery and a pollinator in another. I was very careful in the planting of both and they looked good for a few days. but then seemed to go downhill.

I am obsessed with trying to have healthy trees. I have 7 other fruit trees (various kinds), all growing reasonably well. The Cherry trees developed a sickly look, and one of the leaves shows classic symptoms of chlorine toxicity, as shown in my Western Fertilizer Handbook. In addition, tiny strange red bumps (about 1mm) appeared on the leaf stems. A slightly sticky substance is on the terminal buds. I sprayed a few days ago with Bonide Fruit Tree Spray and the leaves look better-no sticky stuff. There are no Aphids on the tree (pre-spray). Photos are before spraying. The red bumps mystify me. Any thoughts would be helpful. Trying to send photos.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2014
  2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I'm referencing the comment you made in the "Ants on Cherry Tree" thread, started by another poster:

3. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

The red bumps on cherry tree leaves are a normal part of their growth. I don't know what they are called, but all the leaves have them.

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

They're called "nectaries". Here's a Wikipedia article about them. Scroll down to the section on Extrafloral nectaries.

5. KimberlyKid

KimberlyKid Member

Many thanks to you, Wendy and Vitog. This is fascinating, especially the reference in Wikipedia. The only detailed book in my library on leaf structure does not mention them. But then the book, "Modern Fruit Science", is 50 years old so this is "new" stuff. Cheers

6. KimberlyKid

KimberlyKid Member

latest update: a check of the pH of the soil was made a couple of weeks ago, and found to be almost 7.5. My reference books say that cherry trees prefer about 6.0-6.5.

I applied about 100g. of sulfur prills into the dirt at the base of the tree, and have been watering deeply every few days. There is a great difference in the growth and the leaves look normal. However, small spots of bacterial canker are seen on the Bing cherry, but none on the pollinator tree. Things are looking up!

Thanks for all the links to the canker problem.