Cherimoya seedlings true to type?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by 558911, Jul 5, 2009.

1. 558911

558911 Member

I'm interested in growing a cherimoya tree from seed, and I'm wondering if the seedlings will be true-to-type. I know cherimoyas can be grown from seed, but I also read about grafting. Is the grafting only to speed up the process, or is it necessary to grow good fruit?

Also, does anyone know of other fruit trees that will grow true-to-type from seed, with no grafting necessary?

Thanks in advance!

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Most Chirimoya are true to type - the graft speeds up the process but it's not strictly necessary to get good quality fruit. I'd reccomend the cultivar 'Cariamanga' if you're going from seed - it fruits early and large.

3. nelson20vt

nelson20vt Member

Seedling trees produce pretty good fruit but grafted trees fruit quicker and are usually of allot better quality. Seedling cherimoya trees usually get quite a bit taller than grafter varieties. I personally have more fun growing things from seed but the waiting part really sucks.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  4. marlab

marlab New Member

Do you know the zone for Cherimoya trees? I live in the Okanagan...my husband loves cherimoya... would love to start 6 or so trees but I fear they are likely no good for our zone ..Is there a nursery that sells them?

thanks
    Marlab

5. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

6. Delvi83

Delvi83 Active Member

Annona c. needs a long summer and warm fall to ripe the fruits in not tropical region.....it can withstand 28°F, not lower, it can lose their leaves if the winter is hard....a good variety is "Fino de Jete", but if you can't grow it (for the climate) you can grow Asimina triloba (Paw Paw)...the two plants belong to the same family, but this last resists very low temperatures. :)