CHC source in Vancouver? Victoria? soil mixes used ??

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by lemon_dreams, Mar 19, 2006.

1. lemon_dreams

lemon_dreams Active Member

I emailed 4 winds myself anf if I hadn't found tiny toms, 4 winds said they'd do all trhey could to ship up for me. Even the border by me, said as long as the tag showed they were bare rooted and deemed as house plants... I could bring them accross. Just have to be shipped to washington. I just decided that I rather buy plants I could SEE and TOUCH. That way I could pick out the best looking.

Will send you a private msg with his number

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I sense a spending spree coming on...

3. Gregn

Gregn Active Member 10 Years

Sorry to inform you: Importing plants into canada DOES require a Phytosanitary Certificate. I have been working on getting citrus into the country since last summer.
    http://airs-sari.inspection.gc.ca/AIRS/airs_decisions.asp?l=E
    This site will help you determine what documentation you will need.
    It is not worth getting your prize plants to the border then no further. We need to ensure that we are free of foreign pets for all our benifit.
    Check monrovia.com for citrus. Many nurseries bring their products into BC. You can order the citrus as a special order. On the monrovia site you can look for a dealer near you. Four Winds does sell quality dwarf citrus.
    gregn

4. lemon_dreams

Maybe its just our smal town area, but the border themselves said I could bring it across, just as long as I met these requirements. bare rooted and marked as houseplant. Citrus cannot survive outdoors canada... leastin this area. So it is deemed as a house plant. And, even on the customs site... it states HOUSEPLANTS as safe for inport.

Iwouldn't want to do it though. My luck they'd not let me through once I actually bought them.

5. Gregn

Gregn Active Member 10 Years

I know we are of the topic here..........
    This is a general note to All canadian plant enthusiests.
    Customs allows you to bring houseplants if you are moving your household effects into Canada. Plants, including Citrus are regulated by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency not Customs and Immigration. You MAY have luck bringing "houseplants"
    Into the country. Citrus has its own classification. The 'airs' link is a good place to start for anyone who is interested in importing Food, soil , sod, plants , flowers, cuttings,
    root stock etc into the great white north.
    There are similar restrictions of Canadian plants going south. Some states especially
    California, Arizona, Texas and Florida have very strict agricultural movement regulations.
    They/we must protect their/ our domestic crops from foreign pests and disease.

6. lemon_dreams

I guess the border here doesn't seem to know much. Because they even looked it up in their books

7. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

For those who are still interested in CHC's, I happened to "stumble" across a smallish pile of them today at Stream Organics in Surrey.

To be totally honest about them, they are extremely large chips, probably straight from the processors so might have to be chopped some more for smaller container sizes. Also, they have been outside in the bin area for a while, and the owner cautioned they had been "contaminated" somewhat with other material from the roadways...certainly not 100% clean and pure chips. Personally, I grow things very "non-sterile" anyway so I threw a bunch in the truck (price was right) and will try experimenting with them, esp. on things that might be in the same container for awhile...larger specimen trees/subtropicals/shrubs.

The owner there also suggested West Creek as a larger quantity supplier of coir (finer grade material similar to peat moss in texture). I have bought the Grotek brand coir bricks from a hydroponic store, but the price is too high to make this a common component of my plug mixes. Gorgeous stuff tho...so stable, springy, holding both moisture and air in excellent proportions.