Changes to forum rules

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by Daniel Mosquin, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I've made some slight changes to the rules that people agree to when they sign up for the forums (in bold below). If you are an existing member and find the rule changes disagreeable, let me know.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

And to clarify, none of the changes are in response to any issue that has come up recently. The timeliness of dealing with objectionable messages rule is simply a matter of lowering expectations for dealing with spam.

Although not as bad as email spam, the boards do receive a small amount of spam; 9 messages in the last quarter of 2003, 8 in the first quarter of 2004 and 16 in the past two months.

As for the friendliness blurb, I just want to ensure that the boards remain as friendly and helpful as they have been so far. I know it's not possible to regulate this sort of thing, but I do want everyone to know that there are expectations.

3. jamkh

jamkh Active Member

I am so glad that the moderators have carried out consistent monitoring of the contents of messages submitted to these forums and prevent abuse by users. Though vagrant messages may slip through the net occasionally, I am happy to note their tenure is short-lived.
    To give substance to my words, I have decided to quit the other forum where my membership preceded this one because abusive and degratory language is allowed freely and often this destroys the friendly and congenial atmosphere so prevalent here.