Cephalocereus columna-trajani, etc.

Discussion in 'Botany Photo of the Day Submissions' started by sweller, Nov 14, 2010.

1. sweller

sweller Member

Common name = viejito. Cactaceae. Endemic to the Tehuacan Valley, Mexico. Found in desert scrub and low tropical deciduous forest. This species is non-branching and reaches heights of 18 meters!
    Also seen in this photo is Beaucarnea gracilis (Nolinaceae or Liliaceae, depending on who you speak to). Common name = pata de elefante. This rosette-forming species has a swollen trunk up to 2-3 m diameter (hence the name "elephant foot") and grows at lower elevations in desert scrub. Endemic to the Tehuacan Valley, Mexico, it is declared a species threatened with extinction in the NOM-Mexicana and is frequently illegally harvested for ornamental use. This species is very slow-growing and is thought to live to be 1,500 years or more.
    This photo was taken during my time in the Peace Corps working in the Tehuacan-Cuicatlan Biosphere Reserve in southern Puebla and northern Oaxaca, Mexico. The area where I worked is loaded with terrific endemics, especially cacti and succulents, Bursera, Fabaceae and euphorbs, with a total species count around 3,000 for an area of approximately a half million hectares. I couldn't decide on just one species to submit. I have a rather extensive photo collection and I'd like to bring more attention to this very cool botanical hotspot by submitting several unique species from the Reserve.
    Thanks for taking a look.

Attached Files: