Cedar dieback

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by jimmyq, Oct 17, 2004.

1. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

I had a client call me in to have a look at a weeping alaska cedar (Cham. nootkatensis pendula) regarding its ailing vigour. It is quite brown and is a recent transplant (this Spring) It was planted from field grown stock, rootballed to a 32" wire basket lined with burlap, planted with wire basket intact and burlap roled to ground level. Weekly use of transplanter (IBA and NPK - at label rates), I say yikes and they will not continue to use this product on this plant. I see borer evidence, a fair bit of it on the main trunk. small entry holes perhaps 1/8" with some sawdust and tunnelling is mostly shallow (I scraped the bark for a small area). No sign of adult or other stage at this point. It was planted too deep, although I feel this is the nursery's mistake as it was at least 4" of soil above the flare, in the root ball. Any comments or insight?

Attached Files:

2. gobo

gobo Active Member

hmm, with that many clues i would have to say...mr. green in the parlour with a candlestick.

and for yet another suspect...root rot? i've been told that chamaecyparis lawsonia are rife with phytophthora in our area. maybe others of the genera are affected as well? results of damaged roots unable to absorb water are wilting, yellowing, dieback, death.

3. Whatever it was, it looks like the whole thing is dead now - the remaining foliage is pretty yellow.