Canna lillies

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by honolua, Jul 20, 2009.

1. honolua

honolua Active Member

Hi again,
    Forgot to ask about my lillies....In the lower mainland, do most dig up their canna lily bulbs and store them, or simply cover well with mulch when they die to the ground? I have seen many around my neighbourhood but can't imagine them dug up each year.....I have had luck, even after this past horrible winter, with my gingers and I did nothing to them! In fact, I expected them to be dead and they were the first to come up this spring. If I could leave them in the ground, I prefer to as I am not very good at carefully digging things up......
    help!

2. Charles Richard

Charles Richard Active Member 10 Years

Hello Honolua,
    I have a questions for you about your gingers. I have a Hedychium 'Tihitian Flame' that I purchased and have in a large pot. It is doing quite well.
    I had a Hedychium 'Tara' which did remarkebly well last year and lost it last winter.
    Which types do you have and where do you plant them? In full sun or filtered sunlight?
    Do you have to cover them for the winter.
    My friend does not dig her canna's up for the winter but, I know that they are in quite a free draining soil around the tuber so that winter wet does not rot them.
    Sorry that I do not have first hand experience with them.

3. honolua

honolua Active Member

Hi,
    I have a few. The ones I have had for a couple of years are the ellipticum (plain old hardy ginger--white flowers), coocineum Tara, densiflorum assam orange. I have them in a somewhat sheltered spot in part sun near the house. I must say I was very surprised as I did nothing special to them for the winter; no extra mulch, no special treatments and after several feet of un-Vancouver like snow this winter, I just assumed they were dead. Well, I was surprised to find them to be the first things to sprout up this spring, and a blossom is about to open! This year, I have planted in full sun against a fence, gardnerianum Kahili and maximum figian giant.....they will need mulch but I am giving it a try. They will get snowed on, should there be a repeat of last winter, as they are not under any overhang or anything. This year is very strange indeed, as things that should have died, did not. Things that should have survived, did not.....nature is interesting!
    good luck!
    Cheers.