Canadians order Hibiscused from US

Discussion in 'Hibiscus' started by Lara, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Lara

Lara Active Member

Hello,
    I live in Montreal, Canada and plan to buy Hibiscuses from www.hibiscusplace.com. The seller never sold his plants to canadians before and he doesn't know what kind of papers I will need in order to get them to Canada. Is the phytocertificate enough?
    Can someone be so kind and explain how the whole procedure works, what kind of papers the seller will have to provide. Also, will I have to go to some place to pick the plants or they will be delivered to my house?
    Anyone that wants to order plants and share the paper and delivery costs is welcome.
    Thanks in advance
    Lara

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Some form of this question comes up on the forums periodically. There does not seem to be a simple clear answer. I have tried to understand the laws and restrictions from the CFIA's Plant Import Unit, but it is not easy. You can bring up to 50 "house plants" in with you when crossing the border. I think this is directed primarily at people moving in or returning to reside in the country. Having plants shipped comes under commercial importation rules. The laws are very different for plants from the US than they are for plants form other countries and plants from Hawaii have special restrictions.

Common sense advice on the web recommends looking for a Canadian source as most plants have already been imported, but for plant enthusiasts, we know how much more seems to be available in the US and elsewhere.

Some US companies ship plants routinely and are aware which plants are restricted. A phytosanitary certificate is usually all that is needed. If the company you wish to order from is not familiar with the process, it might be a good idea for them to contact the CFIA's Plant Import Unit:
    http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/plaveg/internat/internate.shtml#2
    It's better to do it right than have a bunch of plants die in quarantine or be rejected and returned.

You can look up particular plants here:
    http://airs-sari.inspection.gc.ca/
    (I personally found this difficult.)

Ordering a quantity this way is a good idea. You can save on shipping and handling. I think only one phytosanitary certificate is needed per shipment.

3. Lara

Lara Active Member

Hi Eric,
    thanks for answering! I manage to find out that only Phytosanitary certificate is required to ship plants from US to Canada, but no one can answer if plants should be bareroot or in soileless media type.
    You are right it would be easier to buy plants in Canada, but we don't have the variety. I am dreaming to get, for example, Yoda Hibiscus and there is no way I can buy it in Canada. I found Canadian Hibiscus society they ordered 50+ plants from other online shop in 2005 and nothing else happening there... This store doesn't sell to Canada anymore... It is so sad that we can't get these beautiful plants in Canada.
    I will take a risk and order them, just have to find out for the seller if they should be bareroot or in soileless media.
    Lara

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007